Obsessively checking Amazon…

… to see if my book is selling at all. It’s called the Rough Guide to Videogames, it was published last Friday (UK, US in September), and at least half of it – the half that I wrote – was written using Scrivener. I then pasted into Googledocs to share with my co-author in Australia and exported to Word for delivery to my editors, who then imported it into InDesign.

There is something so comforting about the Scrivener interface that I’m now using it for my blog, too, although I know that’s not what it’s designed for. I’m aware that I’m barely scratching the surface of what it can do, but I can’t imagine using any other application for writing. I actually meant to put something in the acknowledgements, but of course forgot about it when the time came.

But thanks, Keith, for sorting out the problem I had once with my document, and most of all for producing an application that makes at least one part of writing a book painless. :smiley:

In case anyone’s interested, the blog is here: http://atypicalgamer.com
and the book’s available at Waterstone’s as well as online.

Cheers
Kate

Congrats!

PS: I would wait about 4-6 weeks to see if it shows up on Amazon. It may take some time to update new incoming inventory.

All writers do this. It’s not exactly a clear indicator of sales, but it is amazingly responsive to positive media coverage; clearly people sit at their desks reading reviews and then head straight to Amazon to buy books they’ve seen written up favourably. The higher your sales ranking, the more often it’s updated, and the more useful an index it becomes.