Odd (complimentary) post

I first used Scrivener at the start of the pandemic to assemble everything I was reading about viruses and epidemiology.

I have rarely dipped back into it since then, though have gladly kept up with versions and would happily pay twice as much :slight_smile: … mostly smaller projects for which Obsidian (also excellent) was enough :slight_smile: .

Scrivener (3.3.1 on macOS 13.4 now) was outstanding then - and (have just started to aggregate dozens of (mostly TextEdit) docs currently kept in DEVONthink (also fantastic) into a major Scrivener document) - it’s just as much of a joy to use now!

Everything just works as it should. It’s easy to find your way around the menu system. Every tool and function is always there, easy to understand - and achieve the desired results.

The interface is inviting in every way and makes using Scrivener a real delight.

So I wanted to thank everyone (at LiteratureAndLatte) involved in Scrivener’s development and support and those here who’ve helped me.

A big Thank you!

(I do have one small, and probably not essential query: is it necessary/possible/useful to ‘rebuild’ etc a Scrivener database, please - as is the case with apps like OmniFocus and DEVONthink (and even Apple Mail’s mailboxes)? If so, how do I do it? Do files imported in the way I’m now doing ever get ‘corrupted’ etc?

In either case - again THANKS!

4 Likes

Thank you for the kind words. They are definitely read and appreciated.

Scrivener maintains an internal search index, and automatically refreshes it as needed. But there’s no equivalent to something like DevonThink’s “Rebuild and Verify” tool.

Your best defense against any kind of data corruption is a good backup. In addition to Scrivener’s own automatic backups, I encourage all Mac users to have an external Time Machine drive.

2 Likes

… heartfelt, really heartfelt, @kewms !

There really is just something about the space in which one works in Scrivener that makes it - as well as all its features, and robustness - such a joy.

I have just bought Antoni Dol’s book to try and squeeze even more out of using Scrivener.

Understood; thanks.

I do that - and much more… an insane number of backups and clones (CCC, SuperDuper) etc.

BTW, there is nothing I should be aware of, no possible and/or ‘hidden’ downside to my importing my Scrivener projects into DEVONthink, by any chance, is there?

I would recommend indexing, rather than importing, into DevonThink. I don’t know if DT can be trusted to maintain the project’s internal structure if imported.

You might also ask the same question in the DT forums. They’re the experts on how their software handles imported objects, and a Scrivener project is quite a bit more complicated than just a normal file.

1 Like

Thanks again, @kewms.

Have done so :slight_smile:

The good people on the DT forum suggest that - provided Scrivener saves everything in one package - I should be OK.

So my question, please, @kewms, is: does a Scrivener project file (extension .scriv) contain every single resource, dependent file and sub-folder etc in that one package, please?

Thanks in advance for your help!

By default, yes.

The potential exceptions are Research files imported as Aliases, and linked images.

Very helpful, @kewms. Thanks!

As you kindly say, it may be better not to have Scrivener documents/projects inside DEVONthink

:slight_smile: .

I use both, and I personally wouldn’t store a Scrivener project within DT. The potential risk of inadvertent project corruption is, in my opinion, too high.

2 Likes

Thanks, Kinsey. I shall follow your advice :slight_smile: !

You’re welcome (I’ve followed your thread on this topic over on the DT forum also).

2 Likes

@Kinsey - the weight of evidence against is overwhelming :slight_smile:

Again, appreciated!