Odd PDF output during compile (Import from Apple Pages issue)

I converted one of my novels from MS Word .docx to Scrivener. The import was successful and I was able to break each chapter into separate scenes. With each scene, I created a folder. So far everything looks good. I cleaned up by converting the entire document to Scrivener standard. Then I did some text cleaning by removing line breaks and zapping the gremlins. I set it up to ignore the hash tags, etc.

However, when I compile, each page on the PDF looks like only half a page. There’s a big gap of space on the bottom of each page. There are no signs of page breaks even when showing the invisible codes. Just the standard carriage return after each paragraph.

Thoughts?

Are these page breaks happening at the points where the manuscript in Scriv goes from one document to another or moves from the documents in one folder to the docs in another folder? In either of these cases, the Compile Format you are using is kicking in the page breaks. For example, a compile format might be set to start a fresh page whenever it moves on to another folder (one might for example want that because it corresponded to chapter starts).

If every page is getting “short sheeted”, the problem is something else.

It may be the fact that page breaks are the default separator for folders (in some project templates at least).

It’s definitely getting short-sheeted. Even print document preview is showing half the page. Something must have gotten imported with the .docx that Scrivener can’t ‘see’ as an illegal character or something that is tripping a page break or short-sheeting it. Thanks though.

Make sure everything is OK here :

And here :
(Since you also have print preview showing half pages, if not something else, the issue is likely here.)
(Which in turn would mean that you are compiling using the project’s page settings – Format designer / Page settings. → See above screenshot / first option checkbox.)

image

Inked2022-03-12 13_59_07-Window_LI

Absolutely true.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Another test :
Create a new blank document.
Fill a good couple lines with gibberish (enough to fill a 8.5x11 page) “hsdhfhdjkh fdskjfhsjkfs jkdfjhfskjfsdjhsdf hjkdf jkfs jfsd fhjdshfjs k” (Do one line, then copy/paste for like 30-40 more lines.)
Print preview this document.
Is that new document short sheeted ?
(If yes : the issue is with your project. – If no : the issue is with your imported files.)

I did the test with the new document. No short sheeting on the new document. Definitely, something went wrong with the import from MS Word. I had to use Apple Pages to edit it then save it as MS Word. That will make it worse. Argh. Will try again from google docs. Thanks!

Try to copy the content of one of your problematic documents into a new document.
(Who knows - although unlikely -, perhaps the issue won’t follow…)

You could also copy the content of one of those documents into the equivalent of NotePad for Windows (any app so basic that it will simply discard the faulty code by ignoring it), and copy/paste that back into Scrivener. ← I am just brainstorming here…

Thank you, everyone. What I had originally done was open the original .docx in Apple Pages then inserted a #Chapter so I could import and split. Then saved as a .docx. That may be the problem as Apple Pages (which I don’t normally use) isn’t a great word processor. So I went back into my google docs and made a copy then worked on the doc to add #Chapter for split then download it as an MS Word doc and imported it into my project. Tested print and viola - this one works. So I guess working from Apple Pages isn’t the best idea. Thanks again!

2 Likes