Oh Look a Favorite Sayings Thread...

I want to know some of your favorite sayings.

[size=150]“It’s never to late to have a happy childhood.”[/size]

or

[size=150]“Slower than a herd of turtles coming down a mountain of peanut butter in the dead of winter.”[/size]

Do they have to be famous and well accepted sayings, or will favourite inspirational quotes do?

Fish and visitors smell after three days.
Benjamin Franklin

Bill Clinton’s Inaugural Address January 21, 1993:
“My fellow citizens: Today we celebrate the mystery of American renewal. There will be free visits to Bondage&Disiplinary Therapists, for all on Medicare.”

Slower than a box of molasses covered rocks in January – my grandmother discussing a relative

You can’t fix stupid but you can beat it up pretty good.
You can’t fix stupid, at least not without their consent.

This is where you shut up and I say “I told you so” – Mrs

Benjamin Franklin has destroyed more childhoods with his sayings … – Samuel Clemens discussing the tendency for authorities to quote Franklin to youth.

I will be fine – Me to any passenger in my Jeep. Last use resulted in …

The difference between the wrong word and the right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.

—Mark Twain

“You can’t get there from here.”

I’ve heard it more than once as my father tried to find his way to some lake or 4x4-ing terrain. It expresses just how difficult navigation can be way out in the boonies, where some place may be within sight, but impassable terrain or private property lies between you and your destination for miles in any direction.

Hopefully they listened… Unlike me.

“A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.” — Steven Wright

“The search for a scapegoat is the easiest of all hunting expeditions.” — Eisenhower

Dave

Soooo many quotes from the Rocky movies. Erm, how about:

[i]“It’s not about how hard you can hit, it’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward… that’s how winning is done!”

“Women weaken legs”

“GET UP!!!”

“This man is dangerous? I’m dangerous! I’m dangerous!”

“There is no tomorrow! THERE IS NO TOMORROW!”

“It’s too bad we’ve got to get old.”

“You’re gonna have to go through hell, worse than any nightmare you’ve ever dreamed. But when it’s over, I know you’ll be the one standing. You know what you have to do. Do it.”[/i]

And of course, a contender for the greatest line of dialogue ever in a movie:
“Hey, where’s your hat?”

Shameless link to a blog post about Rocky explaining why that last line is so cool.

“You meet your destiny on the road you take to avoid it.”
Carl Jung.

“You laid a piece o’that on your head, your tongue would slap your brains out trying to get it off.”

— My East Tennessee grandmother, describing her father’s homemade bacon

Show me a sane person and I will cure him for you.

• Carl Jung

Politics…
…is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy.

– Sir Ernest Benn

One day, hopefully, each of us will be elderly.
– Derren Brown

“It isn’t all just kismet. Some of it is serendipity. Some of it is sagacity. A lot of it is doing the right thing simply because we can. The difference between those who don’t and those who do, is that those who do, do. It doesn’t get any more complicated than that.”

Hanson Drake.

“Hold my beer and watch this.” --A redneck’s famous last words.

And since we’re throwing out Twain quotes:

"Every time I read Pride and Prejudice, I want to dig [Jane Austen] up and hit her over the skull with her own shin bone.”

“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.” -

Here’s one from my great-grandfather, who lived until he was 99 or so. He and his wife (who passed at 91) were married for 50 years and got a letter from the then-President (Reagan) congratulating them. His comment? “He was a shitty actor, and I didn’t vote for him as President.”

Anyway his saying: “If the dog hadn’t stopped to take a shit, he would’ve caught the rabbit.”