Older Project Update Bug

I just updated Scrivener to the latest El Capitan-friendly version. When I tried to open up an older project, I received an error report: “The project you are trying to load uses an older file format and cannot be opened. Would you like to update it? A copy of the old project will be saved in the same directory.”

When I select UPDATE, I then get this message: “The update has been cancelled because there was an error when trying to create a backup of the project. Please check there is sufficient space on your hard drive.”

I have loads of space on my hard drive, so this is not the issue. Some of the specs you may be interested in- I’m on a 2013 iMac with Intel processor. I’m updated to the latest version of OSX 10.11.3. The projects I’m trying to work on are kind of old, last modified in March of 2015. I can’t see the version of Scrivener that I was using when I last saved those projects, but it should be the version that was current as of March 2015.

Are you using the MAS version or the version directly downloaded from Lit&Lat? If the former, it could be a sandbox issue. 10.11.x is much more aggressive in sandboxing in my experience.

Mr X

I’m using the lit&lat version.

Then it sounds like a permissions problem to me. You’ll need to check that you have ‘write’ permissions set for the folder where the project is stored and on all enclosed folders. I’d run Disk Utility to repair permissions—actually, I do this regularly as part of a cleanup using Cocktail—and the Show Info on the folder to check that you have read & write access. Permissions can get changed during upgrading processes.

Otherwise, perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me will be along soon.

:slight_smile:

Mr X