OMG lost entire chapter- HELP Please

Been having trouble with Scrivener since I put it on my new lap top. Got finished with one problem and went back to writing today. I copied an entire chapter to move it elsewhere, but it was not saved in my clipboard. Instead I got something in my clipboard that I had copied a few hours before from another program. The copy just went away. I lost an entire chapter! ( not sure why scrivener did not save my clipboard- but I’ll deal with that later. FOr now, I’m just trying to recover what was there.

Before closing this scrivener book I renamed it, however I tried to open up the previous named book and that chapter is gone in that as well, so Scrivener must have saved it automatically.

There are months of work on this chapter.

What I have tried. I went into time machine, but apparently it was not working. No, I have not backed up from this computer yet as I was waiting until the other Scrivener problem was solved before backing it up and just had that fixed a few moments before this happened.

I have spent a week getting a e mail every day with the other problem. I REALLY CAN’T DO THAT! I WILL PAY FOR PHONE SUPPORT GUYS! PLEASE!

I was able to go into time machine and get my back up. I don’t know if it copied everything over correctly but I’m o.k for now. I still want to pay for support for scrivener and would like to know why it did not save to my clipboard.

Scrivener saves everything as you go along. So basically, writing in Scrivener is analogous to writing in a notebook in pen. Selecting text and pressing delete is equivalent to going over it with White-Out. In other words… changes get saved, pretty much as you make them. You can use undo / redo, of course, but if you always act in accordance with the above metaphor you won’t go far wrong.

The great thing about this approach is that if your computer crashes, freezes, the power goes or something else happens you don’t lose that wonderful prose you’ve just spent the last three hours crafting. The downside is… experimentation is permanent.

That is, unless you use the other functions built into the program to allow you to play with confidence. Snapshops enable you to save a version of a document of posterity before engaging in major edits (and restore it later, of course). Moving documents to the Trash (instead of selecting the text in them and deleting it) will keep your scenes safe but out of the way, as long as you don’t empty it.

So with that out of the way… Can you describe what steps you took to copy your chapter, where you were trying to move it to, etc?

For exactly this reason, I like to use Binder level commands when moving large chunks of material.

Use the Documents -> Split command as needed to isolate the section you want to move in its own sub-document, and to create a “hole” at the destination location. Using the Binder or Corkboard, drag the section into the hole. Use the Documents -> Merge command as needed to stitch the component files back together. (Or not. I usually don’t bother until I’m starting to assemble the final draft.)

The clipboard only exists in your computer’s memory, and is shared among all of the programs on your Mac. This makes it inherently more risky than an approach which stores everything in your computer’s file system.

I don’t know why the clipped material wasn’t saved. The most likely reason would be that you accidentally used the “delete” shortcut rather than the “cut” shortcut. In that case, an immediate “Undo” would have saved you, but not much else.

Katherine

Incidentally, this would be an excellent time to familiarize yourself with Scrivener’s automatic backups, which can be found via the Scrivener -> Preferences -> Backups tab. Make sure in particular that the save options match the way you work: if you only save a backup on project close, but leave Scrivener running for hours or days at a time, then these backups may not be current when you need them.

Katherine