On Line Version??

Too late. :open_mouth:

The issues were not unique to my system - I was able to track it down because I was ā€œfortunateā€ enough for my system freeze at a time when I was able to investigate. And because it was clear what the last item in the console was (the google updater), I started my search with that and discovered others reporting similar (even identical) issues. Even those that didnā€™t have the stability issues I experienced reported multiple errors in the console. Some of those who did experience the same issues attributed them to other causes, but all were resolved after killing the Google updater. In short, I only identified the problem because so many others were reporting similar issues.

Yes, I have well and truly upgraded. :smiley:
I mentioned Snow Leopard because it was the most stable OS I have ever used (and I have used a lot of them over the years). The next most stable was probably Atari BASIC in the 1980s.

Note: Iā€™ve never seen any Google updates either. If not for the complete system freeze, I wouldnā€™t have found it in my logs and would still not know it was there. System has been running better since I removed it, so Iā€™m hesitant to run Chrome again. Luckily, I prefer Safari, but there are some sites that just work better in Chrome (Iā€™m not a Google hater).

I feel bad for this horse these people keep making you beat, Keith.

Sorry, but the dead horse here is out-of-date information.
Chrome consists of web apps and offline apps.
The number of offline apps is growing steadily.
See blog.laptopmag.com/chrome-os-des ā€¦ ps-offline

Keith is doubtless sincere in expressing his disinterest in a web-based Scrivener.
Probably the best hope is that Chromebooks will run on Intel processors
And some version of the Linux-based Scriv will become installable.
However, writing apps for Chrome and Cbooks are getting better.
I have listed them often in other posts.

Yesterday I experienced a 5-hour power outage
In a rural section of the USA. My Chromebook never faltered.
Wrote e-mail, took research notes, paid bills.
When power returned, everything uploaded and synchronized.

The household iPads were dead bricks. :open_mouth:

Because their batteries werenā€™t charged? Here in midcoast Maine, our power goes out every time a Buick-load of Blue-Hairs bangs a youie across Route 1 for a yard sale and T-bones a Winnebago into a power pole (four times so far this season, though once it was texting teens). With my MacBook Pro, I have maybe 2 hours of working on-battery (for which read, nervously working 15 minutes then carefully shutting down). The wife, with her iPad mini, piddles happily away for hours.

Of course, she does keep her battery charged, knowing how many Buick-loads of Blue-Hairs we can expect, come summer.

Ahab,

Thanks for the colorful picture of your summer life Down East.
Tourists like to think of themselves as welcome revenue,
but obviously not if they create mayhem on the highways.

My ā€œdead bricksā€ comment on iPads was indeed hyperbole.
The Mrs here could read on her Kindle app and type out notes,
But e-mail, news, Facebook required a Net connection.

To me, itā€™s ironic that so many folks dump on Chromebooks
As useless without the Internet, when the same is quite true
Of iPads unless they have a phone-chip installed.

Let me know when a great white cruises your coast. :open_mouth:

It looks like Google exposes their realtime API, cloud software, and collaboration tools for developers to use. Still a complex issue to solve even with their tools, but you wonā€™t have to reinvent the wheel this way.

In order to fully utilize it looks like youā€™d need to be capable of executing javascript. This looks like it is a doable feat as well. You could embed a web view, maybe have a Node.JS instance run the code, or some other solution entirely.

Googleā€™s Realtime API: https://developers.google.com/drive/realtime/

As cold as the Eastern Bayā€™s been so far this summer, a great white better arrive wearing a cardigan.

We have no plans to implement a cloud version of Scrivener at this time.
All the best,
Keith

A question for all the folk demanding a web-based, collaboration-savvy service:

How much would you be willing to pay (per month) for it? Youā€™re obviously not expecting to get it for nothing, but Iā€™m wondering what itā€™s worth.

I would never demand a feature, but looking at hardware costs, Iā€™d be able to pay yearly for a cloud-based Scrivener if I could access it on a $300 Chromebook, as opposed to a Mac laptop at 2.5x the cost.

That said, it isnā€™t happening, but the market would be there for users like me, trying to lower HW cost.

But you can already run Scrivener on a low-end Windows (Intel) PC. No need for a Mac, an internet connection, or a cloud subscription.

Katherine

I donā€™t fault L&L for declining to create a version of Scrivener that would be cloud-based, but I wouldnā€™t expect a discriminating user to buy a low-end PC. Instead, Iā€™ll be buying the replacement machine I know I can live with, that keeps my access to Scrivener, and it means spending $750-$1,250. I donā€™t see a mobile cloud subscription is a negative when Iā€™m overspending for hardware that I can live with. The emergence of a ā€œScrivener taxā€ to my next hardware purchase is entirely my own choice. No one is forcing me to find Scrivener indispensable, and L&L has nothing to apologize for, but I have a hard time taking your suggestion seriously, as hardware is something you have to use.

Chromebooks have swooped inā€“much like Scrivener did in the WP segmentā€“to show surprising utility. Many of the newer Chromebooks have light, thin cases, responsive keyboards, instant-on booting, and 1080p screens. I canā€™t speak for anyone else, but I have enough data from my smartphone that having an internet connection at a coffee shop, when Iā€™m not in a wifi building, is the standard for me now.

Iā€™m saying that if a $300 ChromeBook is an acceptable solution for you, a $500 Windows PC will do everything that it can, plus run Scrivener.

Personally, youā€™ll get my MacBook Air when you pry it from my cold dead hands. But my point was that for those concerned about cost, there are plenty of low-cost Scrivener-capable alternatives.

Katherine

A PC canā€™t offer a 1080p screen at $500. The screen resolution is 1366 x 768 at that price point.

Weā€™re all working in text, so a higher screen resolution is nice. Is there a technical reason that I should have to buy a PC to work in text, even in a non-linear way, when a Chromebook is available, a kind of high-tech typewriter for writers who donā€™t need 10x more computing power of a traditional PC or Mac, and donā€™t want to pay for it? (Especially when a Kindle, tablet and smartphone are also in the budget.)

For $300+, I can get a text-focused Chromebook with a 1080p screen and 11 hours of battery life. The genie isnā€™t going back in the bottle. Cloud and good-enough hardware are the future of the writerā€™s workflow, and any program tied to a PC, a declining market, will find users stuck wondering what to do.

(BTW, I have a MacBook Air, and love it, but am not sure about buying so much computer for those additions I mentioned Iā€™d like going forward.)

$us300 is the target, right?

$us200, 24" Dell 1080p monitor
$us40, RasberryPi | $110 beaglebone SBC with case
$us20, hdmi cable to connect SBC to monitor

Use scriv for linux.

Too esoteric?

Letā€™s make the total $400

$200 for above monitor
$200 for ā€œbookshelfā€ PC
$0 Ubuntu linux
Run scriv linux

The problem isnā€™t cost. The problem is the expectation that hardware should be cheap AND all purpose. I can get you a cheap, viable writing system for scriv (much cheaper than $300) but you will lose portability. I can get you cheap and portable but you will lose resolution WHEN portable. If you want both, you need to pay.

Or buy used. I can find all kinds of used macs for under $300. Windows even cheaper.

If youā€™re concerned about cost, why would you have a Kindle and a tablet?

For that matter, why would you have a tablet and a full-fledged computer?

Katherine

Well, I bought a (new) Chromebook C720 for about 180 Euro on the marketplace of a big online-trader.

Replaced the Chrome-OS with XUbuntu. Not to complicated - but I have to use a screwdriver. Followed the lines in
reddit.com/r/chrubuntu/comme ā€¦ acer_c720/

Replaced the old Linux-kernel with version 3.17RC (where some drivers for Chromebooks are built in). Gave some new meanings to keys on the keyboard (thats the biggest drawback - keyboard-layout and lack of some keys). And maybe the fan, which starts and stops sporadic. I canā€™t suspend/hibernate the C720, have to manually shut it off - but start is automatic, when the lid gets open. Maybe it could be fixedā€¦but itā€™s only a small inconvenience.

Installed wine, linux-scriv (win-scriv also works fine - I have a licence), papyrus (a german author-editor), xmind, total-commander, notepad++, some linux-applications, some fonts and dropbox (with 440MB to sync).

I have 5,8 GB free, which is enough for writing purposes, I think. Speed is OK, I can work locally and sync with dropbox - can you ask for more?

So to come to the original question: in my opinion there is no need for an online version of scrivener. Maybe a little self-initiative is asked.

HWM

Err - Iā€™m writing this on the machine.

Apple tried what youā€™re doing:

ā€œOur tiny phone size is the perfect one.ā€

How did trying to reprogram the customer work out for richest company on earth?

ā€œIntroducing the 5.5ā€ iPhone."

Reading your replies, I feel you donā€™t understand me as a customer, or are really trying all that hard to do it. (I have a Kindle and a tablet because they were both super-cheap, and have different uses. Is that a good faith question to understand my perspective, or a way to try to make me look dumb?)

What confuses me is hearing an argument against the way people are working today. If you donā€™t have the resources to do a version I would prefer, that is more understandable. Continuing to suggest compromises that keep the status quo for your current product, or questioning my needs, is not really working, at least for this loyal Scrivener user. Iā€™m not ā€œconcernedā€ about myself. I know how to work.

It was INCREDIBLY successful. Are you trying to argue that the iPhone was a failure? Hell, are you trying to argue that the iPhone isnā€™t the most successful thing that has existed in its own lifetime?

Yup. And you think Apple is caving instead or reprogramming you again. THATā€™s HOW GOOD AT THIS THEY ARE.

sigh

Youā€™re deliberately misinterpreting Katieā€™s* point and you know it. She made a fair comment. You can of course make a stylistic or personal preference argument for why a person needs to own two umbrellas, but you canā€™t say cost is your primary concern when deciding your keeping-a-dry-head strategy if you do.

Sorry, I donā€™t follow your point here. This is not a company that prioritises the status quo. Not on any evidence I have seen. Every rejected approach or feature has been based on a considered, reasoned process, and they have delivered market evolving change while they do it.

* - huge liberty being taken. What can I day, I shouldn't post when drunk. But then if I didn't post when drunk if never be on the 'board.