"Only keep xx most recent backups" query

Hello all,

Would appreciate some clarification.

My cat walked over my keyboard and succeeded in accidentally (purposefully) deleting several paragraphs.**

I’m not complaining - it was just unfortunate timing. Fell pretty squarely between auto-backups, and I should’ve snap-shotted [more about that later].

I then set-up a Keyboard Maestro macro, to invoke a backup on an hourly basis. I change the timing to suit my needs, and have notifications built in, so that I don’t forget about it. It’s set to watching whilst Scrivener is “active”, as opposed to simply “running”.

My query:

With the preferences set to the maximum of 25 - i.e. “only keep the 25 most recent backups”, could someone please confirm if this works as I assume it does?

In other words - if you manually/have KM backup 25 times in a row/straight after one another - the 26th backup will start replacing the oldest back-up (chronologically speaking) that exists, of that Project?

Is that correct?

Just want to clarify things - since obviously, the risk of automating things (dependant on the timing) is that 25 backups could be made pretty speedily, in which case - one would start losing older/more crucial(?) backups fairly quickly…

If the above is true - any way to increase that maximum amount?

Part II:

I recall seeing a thread about using KM to automate snapshots.
I love the Snapshot feature - but inevitably only realise I forgot to take one, as soon as I’m looking for one… :blush:

Regardless of the pro’s/con’s - could someone please explain the mechanics of the snapshot?

In other words - are Snapshots saved as separate file, perhaps?
Is there a limit to how many snapshots of a document can be stored?
Can they be located in Finder?

At the risk of stating the obvious - I’m simply trying to get a handle on what might work best between a back-up or a snapshot, for my purposes.

Given what happened, in my only losing paragraphs in a particular ‘document’ inside the Binder, relying on a back-up of the entire Project, to retrieve a hundred or so words, is a bit of overkill. A Snapshot would have worked better, only I never had one. Which is why I’m trying to understand the above, to set-up a helping hand from something that won’t forget! 8)

**[size=65]I deleted something, thinking it was rubbish (without snapshotting) – and 30 minutes later, wish I hadn’t, since it wasn’t actually that bad (compared to what I wrote for the next hour!)[/size]

Hello,

Yes, this is exactly how it works - the oldest backup will be deleted before the new backup is made.

There’s no way to increase it to a specific number past 25, but you can turn off the limit altogether - just deselect “Only keep” to disable the number limitation entirely. That way, it will never delete any backups. Of course, that could soon start eating into your disk space, as there would be no limit on how many backups would be made, but you could tidy up the backups at the end of each week yourself.

Yes - they are saved as separate files inside the .scriv package. A .scriv project package is really a folder (you can see the contents by Ctrl-clicking on a project in the Finder and selecting “Show Package Contents” - don’t edit anything in there directly, but you can poke around to see how the project is structured).

No, there’s no limit beyond disk space.

Only by poking around inside the .scriv package.

Did you not try to undo the deletion, by the way? You could have taken a snapshot of the document as it was and then hit Undo repeatedly to return it to its previous state.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Keith

If you have Time Machine (or similar) doing hourly backups of your hard drive, you have access to your older backups via that.

Used at the time, CMD+Z should have been able to undo the work of Paws The Editor.

Also, take a look at the General tab of Scrivener’s Preferences window. In the Saving section, there’s a option “Take snapshots of changed text documents on manual save.” Since the “File->Save” command is vestigial in Scrivener due to automated saves, this is a great alternative use for that function. Note that Snapshots have their own tab in the Inspector, so there’s no reason to go poking around in the finder for them.

You could create a macro that invokes the manual save on an hourly basis, and then you’d have snapshots of all of your changes from that point forward.

Hello Keith!

I missed that ‘deselect’ trick - thanks for pointing it out. This will help greatly.

Very useful to know - thanks. Will go and have a looksie!

Undo would normally have been an option - but plenty was typed after the deletion, so wasn’t going to help much. I need to get into the habit of snapshotting regularly - although a quick glance below as offered up some possibilities to assist me. Regardless, appreciate the feedback!

Thanks. Need to get into the habit (another one!) of Time-Machining… I move around regularly during the day, and the [1st world problem’s] schlepp of unmounting and disconnecting the drive, sees me rather treat it as any other backup regime (i.e. plugged in, at specific times, certain days of the week)… It is something I need to get into though - can see it being a life-saver.

Oh. And I blamed Paws the Editor rather unfairly. 8)
Hence the ** above, and the teeny-tiny fine-print at the bottom of my post above.
It was all my doing. Live and learn. Always snapshot 1st!
I had written quite a bit in between, before realising I shouldn’t have killed off my original words (without that snapshot!).

Wow. This looks super useful. I’ve enabled the snapshot feature now, and am going to play around with it to test - if it works as expected, will set up a macro.

On the plus side - the above had me haul out old Hazel 3.0, and set-up a Mon/Wed/Fri automated backup routine, that will copy the Scrivener Backups folder over to my secondary drive, and auto-rename and sort it into a chronological folder system. And just because my OCD kicked in good and proper, I then built a second set that copies the entire group over into my Box Cloud, bi-weekly… So should be pretty covered now!

Thanks for all the help - it is appreciated. Happy writing!

Wireless backups are sweet to have. But even with a wired disk that isn’t always available, Time Machine snapshots (stored on the local disk) can be very useful…

support.apple.com/kb/HT4878

CMD+Z has quite a lot of undo levels…especially if the amount changed in half an hour is modest. Current work can always be copied to another file before returning to the main file and seeing how far CMD+Z will go. Never know how lucky you will be…worth a punt…far from reliable, but certainly saved my bacon on a number of occasions.

Good luck

Briar