Open the same projects of last session?

When I closed Scrivener with “Exit” in the “File” menu the next time it would open the projects of the last session automatically were opened. Suddenly it does not do it anymore, instead this is shown:

How could I make scivener automatically open all projects from the last session?

How could I get a big sensible editor instead of such a tiny one on the forum?

Open File ▸ Options... and in the Startup settings in the General tab, tick the top option to Reopen projects that were open on quit.

With the mouse, click anywhere on the brown bar at the top of the editor panel and drag it up or down to adjust the size of the editor area. Or in the upper right above the preview, there’s an icon button to expand it to the full window.

Open File ▸ Options… and in the Startup settings in the General tab, tick the top option to Reopen projects that were open on quit.

This option already was activated. But now it is not anymore. Strange. How could it have happened that this option was disabled? Thank you.

With the mouse, click anywhere on the brown bar at the top of the editor panel and drag it up or down to adjust the size of the editor area. Or in the upper right above the preview, there’s an icon button to expand it to the full window.

Sorry, I meant without covering the post above to be answered.

The area behind the reply panel can be freely scrolled, and in fact you can even navigate around in the forum without the panel going away, which can be useful if you want to cross-reference against a few different posts. Specific to not covering up what you are responding to, each thread ends with a fair amount of text below it, including links to other threads that might interest you. This serves a double purpose of making it so you can scroll the last post in the thread up to near the top of the screen. (To return to where you started responding from, click the header bar in the reply area, where the person’s avatar is that you are responding to, or the thread title as the case may be. You may notice that scrolls the top of the post to the top of the screen, that even works right after you open Reply.)

Also note there is a little << symbol in the lower right of the reply panel that removes the preview to the right, which gives a little room to breathe on the rest of the page.

Okey, thank you very much, may be I somehow should get used to it as well. You don’t come across this forum software that often. It actually is not that important (as coping with Scrivener is).

Also note there is a little << symbol in the lower right of the reply panel that removes the preview to the right, which gives a little room to breathe on the rest of the page.

Yes, it seems there is a fixed witdth, not extendable.

It depends on where you go, I suppose! Most of the communities I come across for different software that I use are on this forum app now. It’s different than the standard fair, but once you get used to it, it’s hard to go back to the more static phpBB style forums of yesteryear. It feels very fluid and conversational, but yes, different from what we grew up on for sure.

And yes, I think the narrow reply view is fixed width, I haven’t found a way to change that. To me it feels more aesthetic than functional. If you could slide it to the side or something that would be neat, but right now it just makes things a little less linear feeling. We’ll see how it goes, that feature was just added in the last update, it’s constantly getting better.

It depends on where you go, I suppose!

Yes, yes, I would suppose that, too, obviously I almost always go to forums not using this one. At the moment the only one I remember using this one is the forum of Lightroom. Same design, colors, I guess.

At the moment I would think I am not able to get used this. But I mostly or often write posts in Notepad++ anyway. And one could use two tabs or brwoser windows, write in one, read the last post in the other.

To be fair, I write most of my posts in Sublime Text, so very similar! I only paste them into the forum web page to check the preview and look for typos and such. But that comes from years of having browsers crash and losing ten minutes of writing, ha!

2 Likes

Why in Sublime Text? Does this have certain advantages compared to other programs, such as Notepad++, for writing forum texts?

But that comes from years of having browsers crash and losing ten minutes of writing, ha!

Or other problems here losing the text, e.g. with the forum software, interrupted Internet connection.

Text Editors, as Sublime Text is, is a personal thing for many. Once picked and enjoyed and/or found useful, people stick to them. Sublime Text one of those. BBEdit also. As is NotePad++. Use what you have and/or find useful.

Alright, thank you! Oops, 20 characters at least is shown when clicking “Reply”. So thank you again.

The main reason that Sublime is an ideal text editor for me is because it runs on Macs, Windows and Linux, and operates 100% identically on each of them. I don’t think Notepad++ runs anywhere but on Windows, which is for me not very useful. It’s a very nice text editor for Windows though, and I would probably use it if that was the only platform I stuck with. It’s a bit like BBEdit on Mac, an iconic text editor that is tied to one specific platform.

Okey, yes, I could imagine a text editor which meets these requirements will considerably limit the choice. Only for Win there are obviously (probably working worse because of this ugly operating system) an infinite number of even very good ones.a

Unfortunately I only use windows.