Opening documents as Quick Reference panels

When you click on a document, whether right or left click, that document is selected and appears in the main window. It would be nice if the right click only did not move the focus to the document, only the left click would do that. In this way, a document could be right clicked and opened as a quick reference panel without changing the focus of the editing window.

Unfortunately that isn’t technically possible, as a selection event happens as soon as you press either button on the mouse down. The good news is that there is a way of doing this without triggering an editor change: simply drag and drop the item from the Binder onto the “QuickRef” icon in the toolbar. You may also find it easier to just hit the Back button on the editor, or Cmd-[ to get back to where you were, if you don’t use that toolbar button or prefer not to drag and drop.

Thanks for your reply. :slight_smile:

I recently found an even better work-around is to use the menu View-Quickreference command, especially if your Binder is very long (as mine is).

Is there a way to do this in full screen, where the toolbar is hidden. I’ve tried but the bar doesn’t slide out if I drag something to the top of the page.

Right, as you note, the toolbar doesn’t work like that in full screen.

The shortcut Opt-Cmd-L to lock the editor before working in the binder will get around this, so you can click the new document and press Spacebar to open it or right-click and choose the QR option, etc. without the document loading in the main editor. The editor lock is easy to toggle when needed with the shortcut whenever focus is in the editor, or via the editor header icon menu (“Lock in Place”).

There is also just history, if you press Cmd-[ in the main window after opening the selected document as QuickReference, you’ll be right back where you left off. That’s one keystroke instead of two (locking and then unlocking). Locking is sometimes better of course, maybe you want to load five documents in QR panels, or just want to explore a bit in the Binder—but if you’re just doing one thing, history is a pretty useful tool.

Wish it did, though :unamused:

Speak to Apple. :unamused: :slight_smile: