opening links

On MacOS 10.13.6 and Scapple 1.4 (1112), I have created some links in my Scapple document with these instructions:

scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb … r-computer

The problem isn’t in creating these links… the problem is how to open them! I have tried differnet combinations of clicking, double-clicking, and right-clicking, but I just can’t figure out how to open the linked files. The frustrating part is that somehow, sometimes (maybe one out of every 30 attempts) I do manage to open the linked file. But I cannot reproduce this behavior with any reliabilty.

So… what’s the trick? What could I be doing wrong?

I still have this problem three months later (I’m using a different username only because my forum account has been deleted).

If the answer is simply that this is a known issue for Scapple, please let me know. But I’d appreciate knowing if there is an easy workaround.

I’m having the same problem.

My current workaround is to copy/paste the Scapple notes into the Scrivener binder.

From there, the links can be opened by Scrivener (I just click on the link).

Are you referring to linking to a page in Scrivener ?

I am doing a timeline of a story I’m writing in Scrivener. I would love to be able to link my Scapple Notes to pages in Scrivener. It would make the reference back and forth easier. But not sure if the “linking” function is able to do this.

The behavior for opening a link does seem somewhat inconsistent in Scapple. What seems to work best is to click the note once to select it, then click into the note to get an active cursor. From there, you can either click the link itself or right-click the link and select “Open Link.” Your linked item will then pop open (assuming you have linked to a file on your computer, which is what was indicated by the instructions you said you followed).

Here’s a video if you want to see what I’m talking about.

You can do this, actually! Open your Scrivener project, right-click the binder item, and click “Copy Document Link.” Go back to Scapple, select the text you want to link, go to Edit → Add Link, and paste your document link. When you click the link, it’ll take you to that document in your project, even if the project isn’t currently open. You can also drag and drop a Scapple note into the Scrivener binder. It’s pretty sweet.

Thanks for that JenT.
Gave it a try. But when I open the link from Scapple I get a “This Application cannot be opened , -50” error. "
So not sure if it’s something I’m doing, an operating error or an issue with the program.

I take that back. Have just sorted it. I was putting my own description into the “link” box as opposed to copy and pasting link. All good.
Thanks for the help

Glad you got it working!