Opening old Scrivener file on Mac Catalina

I used to use Scrivener (I think it was version 2) to write my dissertation. I haven’t used Scrivener for a while, and now I realize that those files are not even compatible with the new Scrivener application.

I installed Scrivener 3, which claims it can automatically convert old Scrivener files into a compatible format. It failed. The converted files are just empty.

So I installed Scrivener 2, but it doesn’t even run on Mac Catalina.

I had purchased Scrivener 2 (if not 1) a couple of years ago, which I definitely shouldn’t have done. It’s very frustrating that you cannot access your own files. I should have used MS Word or Pages or Latex or whatever. I don’t need to edit the files. I just want to read them or convert them into other formats.

What are my options?

How did you transfer the projects to this computer?

Could you tell me which version of Scrivener you have, please, and with which version of Mac OS?

Scrivener 3 definitely can convert Scrivener 2 projects. The symptoms you are seeing are almost certainly caused by something else.

I didn’t transfer them to this computer. They were created on this computer.

I installed both Scrivener 3 and 2; 3 cannot open the old files (well, it technically does, but the files show nothing) and 2 does not run on my mac.

The version of Mac OS on my macbook is Catalina 10.15.7.

Thank you.

Please open a support ticket, here:

We may need to look at the projects directly, and the technical support system is the best way for us to do that.