Opening .scrivx brings up new project prompt WORK GONE?

Trying hard not to be freaked out, but this is a seriously concerning issue…

Every single one of my .scrivx files brings up New Project window. I can start a new project, save it to any folder (Dropbox or Desktop being my common ones), and it opens just fine. All my works in progress though? Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Zip.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Scrivener, but nothing. I using one of my compressed backups and get folder names, but every document is devoid of my words.

Was playing with switching between OS X and Windows (w/ Dropbox) when this happened. OS X is having zero issues.

Any help would be appreciated.

Most likely there are multiple .scrivx files in the project folder or there are other “conflicted” files somewhere from a Dropbox sync glitch. These can prevent Scrivener on Windows from opening the project, so you’d just get Scrivener opening to the New Project window rather than opening your project. Remove these conflicted or duplicate files from the project folder and it should open just fine.

I’d just move them rather than deleting them at this point, so you can take a look at them later–import them into the project, if you like, once you get it open–and make sure there’s not something there you want. They may be from quite a while ago, or it may be something recent from your Mac/Win testing that’s just trivial. Worth checking, though.

You can right-click the project’s .scriv folder on Windows and choose “Send to \ Compressed (zipped) folder” to make a zipped backup before you start moving things out of it, just to be safe.

If you haven’t yet read it, I recommend going through this article on syncing Scrivener projects between machines.

Thanks for the response.

When you say “move them” what is the “them” you are referring to? I see plenty of things with conflicted copy in the title in the .scriv folder. Should I drag these somewhere else?

UPDATE: Hazaa! Scratch the follow-up question. Just moving the conflicted copy files was exactly what needed to be done. Thanks much for your help.

Whoops, yes, sorry I wasn’t clear. Glad you sorted it out!