Option for default document mode?

Hello everyone! Just started using Scrivener few weeks ago and I’m having a few problems with it.

I’m trying to organize a document I wrote previously on another program. I made a new text and then new subtexts for that one (I love this functionality). The most useful thing for me would be that whenever I click the parent text item, that I’d see the subtexts in the Document mode (Oh, now it’s saying Scrivenings, well that’s what I want). However, whenever I click the parent text item, the mode gets deselected.

Is there an option that opens the text items in the document mode (or Scrivenings, whatever) by default? I move around a lot and I have to press Ctrl+1 every time I move. It makes working on the project slower and more difficult and worst of all takes me out of whatever I was doing.

Thank you.

EDIT: Oh, I finally noticed that if I create subfolders, I can see the included text items in Scrivenings mode by default. That works for me, even if it took a bit of time to figure this out.

Scrivenings mode has two settings. It either shows only the current document and ignore sub-documents or it shows the sub-documents as well. You can toggle by clicking on the Scrivenings icon.

Hi Ianuarius – I was about to type out an answer but your edit got there first…

You’re right: the default mode for Document Groups (i.e. documents with children) is to show only the parent text. The default mode for Folders is to show the text of any children (Scrivenings mode).

BTW, just in case you haven’t come across this, you don’t have to create new folders, you can convert a document to a folder and vice versa — right-click and the command is on the context menu. No data will be lost.

The background is that this is one of Scrivener’s fundamental design features: almost everything in the binder can have text, synopsis, notes, meta-data, appear in the corkboard and so on. For most purposes, it really doesn’t matter whether your ‘parent’ is a folder or a document: you can do the same things with either and they’re almost interchangeable.

‘Almost’ – the two main differences (that I’ve come across) are the one you’ve just come across (whether Scrivenings mode is displayed or not by default), and secondly, folders and document groups can be treated differently when you come to compile the document. Ie you can format a folder differently from a document group, so you can differentiate the format of items at the same level in the Binder hierarchy. BTW You usually don’t need to do this, but when you do, it’s a useful flexibility to have.

Hey brookter and lunk!
Thank you very much for the replies. :slight_smile:

I think I will manage. Just trying to think if there’d be a way to prevent confusion for newbies like me. It’s not an easy feat, I know.

Have you looked at the Interactive Tutorial (on the Help menu)? It’s designed precisely to help prevent confusion for new users.

If you haven’t then it’s highly recommended you do. It will only take an hour to two to read through and at the end of it you’ll have a much better idea of what’s available and how it hangs together. You won’t need everything you read in the tutorial (nobody does), but you’ll be much better placed to find a method of working which suits both you and Scrivener…

Good luck!

To answer that specific question: yes! You do not have to resort to using folders unless you really want to. If you do not want the user interface to distinguish between folders and file groups—where it comes to how it loads things into group views or how items are added to them, etc.—you can disable that artificial distinction with the Treat all documents with children as folders option in the Navigation options tab.

I prefer that option, as to me folders are just a different type of icon I can use if I want the additional visual clarity in a long outline. If I want to a container’s text as a singular document instead of as a group of items, then I want all groups to work that way for a while, not just some. To me this checkbox makes things a little simpler and easier to use.