options not saving

If I change any options from the options window, when I open the program next time, the editor is pretty much dead-in-the-water. If I then reset the options to default settings the editor comes back.

Could this be a permissions problem. I did install into my Ubuntu 10.10 using the .deb file which installed into my /opt folder.

Just want to know if anyone else has experienced this, and if they found a cure.

I really hope this program reaches stable under the Linux port and I can buy it. I’d hate to start over in another program. :open_mouth:

Is there a .scriv file/folder in your home directory? I think that’s where all the preferences are saved, although I haven’t used the linux version as much as I have the one with wine.

Yeah, but it’s in a subdirectory. The config file should be in /home/username/.config/Scrivener HQ. I imagine it’d be in the same place whether installed from the deb or the tgz, wouldn’t it?

Thanks for the reply.

No, I can’t find one. The is the scriv project folder which includes all of my project files, but I can’t find any scriv folder/file in my home directory.

I wonder if it’s possible to make one/or copy one in somehow? Like I said, I installed the .deb file which I found a link for on this web site.

OK. Thanks. I found it where you said, under: .config

there is only a single file in this folder, but the permissions and ownership seem to be correct.

Question: is the wine version better than the Linux port? Nothing against wine, but that’s hard to believe.

Strange! I made a few changes in the options, closed and opened the program, and this time, I didn’t experience the problem.

It’s a beta.

Any news on the release date of the stable version, or the next beta? :mrgreen:

YMMV, but I prefer the Linux version; it launches more quickly, is simpler to set up, and the fonts look pretty right out of the box. Other than that, they’re pretty much the same as far as I can see. Haven’t tested the latest Windows version yet, though.

And yeah, if your config file is owned by you and the permissions are rw-r-r it should be right. If you want to stick with the Linux version and all else fails, maybe try installing from the deb, but I don’t know if that’d make any difference.

EDIT: (Looks like we were posting at the same time.) The next beta should theoretically be out by March 21st when this one expires. Either Randy or I will likely have a deb ready sometime that day, but if you’re down with the tgz there’ll be no need to wait for that.

Thanks again for your reply.

I have never written in this kind of environment before. My first novel, and dozens of short stories where written in OpenOffice and Abi Word, and my desktop was full of notes and scribbles, and chaos. This program gave my second book a real kick in the butt.

I’m looking forward to a stable release and I can purchase this product.

Cheers!

shrugs So much can change between distros that I’d rather be able to run it no matter what. So for me, the best option is to use wine. I haven’t had an issue with it, and I use wine to run a lot of things. You do need to know a few things, and if you’re interested in just plugging and playing, it’s not for you. Then again I hate distros and things that hold hands. I do use slackware, but it’s been heavily customized already, so I know my OS inside and out. Plus a windows version is scheduled to be released in March. They are under no obligation whatsoever to support a linux one. I’d like to have options, in case the linux one doesn’t materialize.

So yeah. Bit tired of the wine hate. I get that not everyone likes it, but making claims about how it works (or doesn’t) based upon limited experience is getting really annoying.

I apologize. I didn’t mean to flame anyone/anything. I have been using Suse/Ubuntu as my main OS since 2004, so I’m not a complete noob, although, it has been awhile, I have used wine for several apps.

But, I do wish more companies, like this one, would make a serious attempt at a good Linux port. Although slowly, the market share is growing.

Wine is awesome. There always seem to be just a couple of apps that I need it for–If you count Civ IV and MoO III as needs, that is. I’ve been trying to alternate between the Linux and Windows betas of Scrivener right now, but I borked my wine installation and haven’t taken time to fix it yet. If I recall, didn’t someone say that the Linux version doesn’t even have to be recompiled for Linux since it uses QT, but just repackaged?

And yeah, while I want to eventually get away from having my hand held, compile my own kernel, etc., for now I have to rein that in. I also confess to being somewhat repository-dependent ATM. I already spend way too much time going, “Ooooooooh! I wonder what’ll happen if I do… THIS! Oh… The machine stops booting, drinks all my beer, and pees in my Cheerios. So THAT’S what it does.” And I know that once I start down that road it’ll become an obsession, and I’ll probably not get anything else accomplished for at least a few months.

Right now, I’ll just be happy if my youngest son and I can pick a distro this weekend that’ll make ALSA and a low-latency kernel idiot-proof, and choose some basic recording software for him. (Maybe Jokosher to get him started? He wants to get some ultra-rough demos done right away, so I figure he can learn about Jack later.)

I keep toying with the idea of installing just the most bare-bones system that will support VirtualBox and doing everything in VMs so that I can recover from system borks more quickly. (And I know that’s what god made backups for, but I always think, "Well, this is just a minor tweak. What could possibly go wrong?) Or with the idea of forgoing the GUI desktop environment and just launching and controlling everything, including windowed apps, from the CLI. But again, that way lies madness for me at this point.

What about Ubuntu Studio? Although, I haven’t tested it in a few years, I know it has a low-lat kernel.

I have XP running in a Virt. Box for testing and one time-saver app I sometimes need, but I just feel better working/writing/researching in Linux - and maybe it’s just my crazy box, but I think the font rendering is much better in Linux - which is nicer for writing.