Ordering images in an academic book

Hello!

I have spent the last year writing an academic textbook in Scrivener - and now it is almost finished.
However, I have just been using basic commands to cut/paste/split etc - marvellous to organize thoughts etc., I couldn’t have done it otherwise. Now I need to finish it off.

Firstly I need to organize the hundreds of in-line images so they have captions and figure numbers that stay in sequence if I do some final changes - rather like I can do in Word.
Secondly I need to organize the references/citations.
Thirdly I need to pt the material in an appropriate template.

Obviously it’s time I did some more homework. Does anyone have a proposed workflow to get me where I want to go? I would rather not not export it all to Word, except perhaps at the very last, before it is sent to the publisher.

Many thanks,

Chris Gold

I’d suggest contacting the publisher to ask if they actually want the images in the text file, or if the image should be provided as separate image files.

If the latter, just insert the figure numbers and captions at the appropriate point in the text, but not the images.

EG:

[Fig. 01. The quick brown fox jumps over a lazy dog.]

Save the images in a separate folder as high-resolution jpgs, or in another suitable format as specified by the publisher, at least 300 dpi, with a file name that corresponds to the figure number in the text (fig01.jpg; fig02.jpg, etc.)

Sorry if I suggest something that works on Mac but not Windows. For robust numbering of figures from Scrivener, you should check out the Placeholder tags which allow you to get Scrivener to number figures, tables or whatever and reference them without worrying about where you may move them later.

By default you can use the following placeholder, where TAG is a unique name you assign to the figure:

Figure <$n:figure:TAG>: An interesting figure caption text here.

Then when you reference that figure in the text you use:

The interesting figure shown in Fig. <$n#figure:TAG> is extremely fascinating.

The octothorpe # means you can reference the figure even before it appears in the text as well as after.

You can also use replacements panel in compile to make the placeholders slightly easier to read, e.g. !f for figure and !f- to reference.

As an aside, I find it much easier to manage the figures in the Binder (I have an Images folder in Research), then you can use either Binder links or just use the name of the figure. These can be selected and exported separately. I actually use multimarkdown (MMD) and binder links, the cool thing being that MMD automagically converts figure captions into proper framed figure captions in LibreOffice.