Organizing Bookmarks

Hi,
it would be great if I could organize my bookmarks (especially the website links) in the inspector. I would like to create folders (in the bookmark section directly) and be able to change the symbol/icon of the link like we can do that in the files in the binder (at the moment I see a blue globe). I could create the symbols by myself, of course. I mostly use links from Google Maps, YouTube and Wikipedia for my research. With the right symbol I could see immediately which link I have saved and with the folders I can organize my research better if there are too many links/bookmarks. I attached an image I edited in 5 minutes to show you what I mean. I know I can organize my research in the binder, but I mostly use web links I want to open fast by just clicking on them. I don’t want to import the the whole website content.
Thank you for your time! Of course, I don’t know if this is a feature others would be interested in or if it’s even doable.

You might have a look at Section 10.3 in the Scrivener Manual. There are a lot of different ways to organize bookmarks, including creating a folder for links in the Binder, as well as via a floating reference pane.

Katherine

Thank you for your reply. If I drag an URL in the binder Scrivener will import the website content which I don’t want. It will blow up my project and it’s not convenient for me. I also don’t want to create a list of links in the binder. It’s not as easy accessible as the bookmarks in the inspector. We have “document bookmarks” and “project bookmarks”. We can decide about the order (put one above the other) - but that’s it. I have 20+ bookmarks saved on a Scrivening/text and must scan/read through the links carefully to understand what I saved (I renamed them, but it’s still a hassle). With the right symbol (or any symbol I choose for easy identification) and the possibility of creating folders I could organize my research in perfect way in the inspector. It would be exactly at the place I needed it to be for easy and fast accessibility. If I open the window with the “project bookmarks” it gets even worse. Imagine having 100+ web links/document links stored there. How can you find the right one?

I haven’t been using Scrivener very long, so my collections are small. However to organize bookmarks, I’ve tried making a small file tree in the binder. Each file is a holder for one category or subcategory of bookmarks, which I store in the “document bookmarks” section of the corresponding file. It’s a little kludgey, but it sort of works.

This brings up one question though. Do you (or Scrivener support) know of a way to show a document’s bookmarks in the popup reference window? That window is a fantastic feature for leafing through bookmarks, but so far I’ve only figured out how to show that window for the project bookmarks. The only way I see to scan through document bookmarks is in that small inspector window, which isn’t nearly as nice to use. Thanks for any thoughts on this.

I was just about to post this as a description of how this is the intended approach anyway (though I’m not sure what is “kludgey” about it). While a program like a web browser may have extensive folders and tracking systems for bookmarks, the reason they do so is because they only have one mammoth bookmark list to work with. Scrivener can have thousands of bookmark lists, and each list can be tagged, annotated with a synopsis, organised into other lists, and so on.

I suppose, but it’s never going to beat the tools you have for organising and viewing items in the binder. You just have to think about the binder a little differently perhaps. Instead of “Research Topic 1” as a monolithic file with everything pertaining to that topic jammed into it somewhere, that would probably be a folder with dozens of snippets of information organised within it into subtopics and even further, and that’s where your more detailed bookmarks would go as well, each supporting the snippet they refer to rather than being in one huge list that encompasses multiple subtopics.

The opposing approach has more complexity being added to each item, and once you go down that road, it will open up a whole new branch of feature requests that would all essentially be boiled down to importing the Outliner view’s capabilities into the bookmarks sidebar list. If instead the design encourages smaller lists, then you don’t need folders, and search tools, and tagging, and so on.

The other problem with this idea is that you can already put folders into the bookmark list. Try it, drag a folder from your binder into the bookmarks list. Yeah, that would be confusing. :slight_smile: Of course it’s not a bookmark folder, it’s a bookmark of a folder, but how would you tell the difference? Even if a different icon were used, or no icon at all, it would still be confusing.

Yeah, you can do that. The bookmark button in the lower left is of course a toggle for the Project Bookmarks sidebar. Ignore that—instead go to the top right, where it probably says “Editor Only” and click that. This gives you access to most of the inspector, including bookmarks. That’s actually a good trick to keep in mind when you’re gathering internal bookmarks. Since the inspector flips around depending on what you’re viewing, if you are gathering notes together into a list, keeping the item open as a Quick Reference panel to drag items into is the best solution.

Yes, that’s a good point. Because each of the objects that would hold the sets bookmarks itself is a file, one can write a little about each set, along with a synopsis. By the way, this was one of only a few remaining concerns I had about using Scrivener as a scientific notebook. So far so good on that front.

OK, I’m going to be a little picky here. That solution is fine, but not nearly as beautiful as the alt-cmd-shift-B window. With that window, as I move up and down in the sidebar, the document in the main window updates to match the selected bookmark. That beautifully replicates having a stack of notes on your desk and looking through them, and is incredibly useful. Clicking on docs from a split window and opening them is fine, but not as good as that global bookmarks window. Sorry to be particular, but that project bookmarks window is just fantastic. Allowing one to shift that windows focus to document-level bookmarks would be very useful.
Thank you. In addition to Scrivener being an elegantly designed program, it’s nice to see genuine expert tech support for it.

That wouldn’t quite work as things stand, since the document bookmarks are associated with the particular document loaded in the editor–thus if you switched the document there, you’d no longer have the same list of document bookmarks. You can get rather smooth navigation though with a setup that uses the project bookmarks in the Quick Reference sidebar, such that selecting one loads the document in the editor and, more to the point, that document’s specific bookmarks–so e.g. you might have Topic A, Topic B, Topic C and so on as your project bookmarks, then Topic A has a list of document bookmarks pertinent to that subject (and this can of course be as fine-grained a you want). Then use the space bar to open selected document bookmarks in their own Quick Reference panel and Cmd-W to close that panel when you’re finished.

Well another alternative, if the bookmark content browsing aspect is a big component of the tool for you, is to primarily use Copyholders instead of Quick Reference, which use the regular inspector since they are part of the main window. It’s not quite your idea for having a bookmark browser in a separate window, but having three or four total splits may also satisfy the underlying need without the device, so to speak. They can be relatively tucked out of the way, if you aren’t using them much for content. I almost always have one of those open, often mainly for its bookmark list in fact. I just hit the Ctrl-Opt-Cmd-D shortcut to shift mouse focus to it, followed quickly by the same modifier chord with the N key, to pop the cursor over into the bookmark list, and now I can browse with the arrow keys.

So that’s a big advantage of being a part of the project window, as it is all tightly integrated with shortcut keys. QuickRef is much more mouse dependent unless you have a nice third-party window selection accessory.

A meta-Q: I bookmarked this topic; how do I access my bookmarked topics on this web site?

Click on your name in the top left corner of the forum page, and go to Settings. From there you should see a bookmarks entry in the sidebar that lists all bookmarked topics.

Thx!