Organizing in the binder

I’ve been doing the tutorial and searching for this answer all morning, so my brain is a little fried. Hopefully it makes sense what I’m trying to do, and I’m not asking something basic that’s covered elsewhere (because I can’t find it :frowning: ).

So I want to arrange my written MS (to be revised) like this:

Part

  • Chapter
    – Scene
    — Sub-scene

I’m having trouble at the scene/sub-scene level because a “scene” would be stand-alone and have a # after it; however, a sub-scene wouldn’t. For instance, Sub-scene #1 Something Happens, Sub-scene #2 Characters React:

Bob slaps Sue, Jenny gasps, Sue runs away.
Bob and Jenny talk about it.

I don’t want a # between those two things, but because they’re two separate scenes in and of themselves, I want to keep them in separate text files.

Right now, I have it arranged so that
Part = Folder
Chapter = Folder
Scene = Text File … And then I don’t know what to do with my sub-scenes.

I’ve been attempting to rearrange them and compile them out, but none of the breaks are working for me. I read that there’s a bug in the text separate = empty line, so I’m happy to wait for the update. What I can’t figure out is how to make my sub-scenes only have a text separator, my scenes have a # separator, my chapters have a “chapter” before them, and my parts have a “part” before them.

Does anyone know how to do this? It seems so basic that I want to pound my head against a wall. :frowning:

Yeah, this is a limitation of the way the software is designed. Separators are just based on joining together things by type (file/file folder/file etc.) and so they have no bearing, or context. What this means it that for this way of working you can’t really take advantage of the automation. I work this way myself, incidentally. I like to see things with a bit more detail than “scene”, and so I chop things up into sub-files. So what I do is turn off the separators for files entirely (“single return” is what you want, though note in the current version there is a bug that will be fixed very soon, which causes an empty line to appear even when you choose “single return”; just set it that way for now even though it won’t look right if you test it). I then have a special file that I insert where I need a scene break. That file just contains the break (whether it be two carriage returns or a ‘#’) and that is set to compile “As-Is” in the Inspector. For the name I call it “-----” so that it stands out in the outline. When I need a new one I just duplicate it (Ctrl-D) and move it where it needs to go.

The advantage of working this way is that I can easily see the scene breaks in the binder and move them around if need be. It’s not quite as nice as having the compiler handle all of it automatically, but I’d rather have more detail in the outline than sacrifice that detail for automation.

This is a great suggestion! I didn’t think to do it that way–For the moment, I put a # at the beginning of my text files to indicate they have a scene break before them and figured I’d add it in later, possibly manually. But this takes the manual work out of it.

Thanks!