OS X dictionary lookup partially crashes everything

Using Scrivener 2.7 (26016) on OS X 10.11, I get the following behavior when using the attached preferences:

  1. If I click in the middle or at the beginning or end of a word and press ⌘^D to activate OS X’s built in dictionary lookup dialog, the dialog window appears successfully.

  2. If I navigate to the middle of a word using the keyboard and invoke the dictionary lookup, the dialog window appears successfully.

  3. If I navigate to the beginning or end of a word using the keyboard and invoke the dictionary lookup, the dialog window does not appear and I get this error in the console:

2015-10-27 14:43:57.577 Scrivener[90182] -[KBComment previewItemURL]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x15eacd40

Once the dialog window fails to appear, all other dialogs in Scrivener fail to appear, including the dictionary, and (more importantly) the “save as” modal dialog and other internal Scrivener menus. Scrivener will also fail to synchronize the project with an external folder.

Even worse, the spacebar key will stop working about 50% of the time. It appears that whatever is blocking the dictionary dialog from working will also kill Scrivener’s autocomplete feature (which I’ve disabled, but which remains enabled in every project I make regardless of the setting in preferences).

The only way to fix the problem is to force quit Scrivener and open it again (which causes all the errors shown in the attached excerpt from the console log).

As long as I remember to either click on words or move my cursor inside a word with the keyboard, everything works great. If I forget and try to open the dictionary at a word boundary, everything partially crashes and I have to restart everything.
scriv_prefs.prefs (28 KB)
Console.txt (11 KB)

I’m having the same problem. I’m using Scrivener 2.7.1 on Mac OS 10.11.3.

For me, I noticed that the dictionary fails to open with the standard shortcut when the cursor is on the boundary of a word only if there’s a footnote somewhere in the document. Once the dictionary fails to open, I have the same issues outlined above.