Other ways to arrange the corkboard

I really like the corkboard. However, the way the cards sort themselves, chronologically from left to right, automatically continuing on the next row, does not always fit my way of thinking… I would like some sorting options to choose from.

Ideally I would like to be able to see multiple chapters (folders) at once, sorted chronologically from top to bottom, with one column for each chapter. A bit like Trello (trello.com) Then I could get an visual overview of the whole book at once, in a way that I cannot with the binder or outliner. This could also be useful within a chapter, if I have multiple points of view, and several scenes within each. I hope you understand what I mean…

It would also be good to be able to not use all spaces for the cards. So that say if I have laid out six cards, I can put the next one on a new row. Like hitting “enter” when writing a normal text.

Kind regards

Anna

I should add - I use the windows version, I understand that corkboard works a bit differently in Mac

I know this is quite an old post, but I echo the vote for a Trello-esque KanBan experience for the Corkboard!

This is a brilliant idea.

For those Mac users writing in about how they would like to see this, this is already possible: just Cmd-click on a group of folders to view them stacked, and in the footer bar toggle between wrapped, rows and columns: §11.1.6, Stacked Corkboards, pg. 136.

Oh wow, thanks for the tip!!! Hardcore Scrivener user for years here and this is the first time I notice the “arrange cards in columns” and “arrange cards in rows” options for the corkboard. So much hidden shiny shiny… :laughing:

I think I’m missing something. I’ve tried to follow the instructions in the manual but can’t seem to figure out how to do this other than by turning on Freeform mode, which isn’t ideal since it is difficult to keep everything straight.

I had the same question. Cmd-click in the Binder so that you just select your folders–not their sub-documents.

Yup, if you select even one single non-container item then it becomes a “Multiple selection”, as indicated in the header bar. That’s an intentional feature, as one might not always want to view a selection of folders as their contents, but rather as folders. In that case, you can select one file as well to force the corkboard to just show the folders as cards.