Outline Format keeps changing!

My 4000-word outline is a mass of different formatting because it changes every time I open the document. How do I set the formatting and get it to stick? This essentially makes my outline unprintable as a shareable document.

Acutally, Formatting seems to be a HUGE weakness of the software. I have to copy everything to WORD before I have a printable document. Seems like that might be an important thing to get right.

Mystery why changing all the time. No information provided to allow good assistance here.

Simply, don’t format in the Text Editor which is intended for non-formatted writing, frankly. That is the strength of Scrivener. Do all your formatting with the compiler.

Yes, Scrivener works not like Word. If you prefer how Word does it, then best to use Word (or similar), I guess.

Perhaps, if not done already or if done again, review the Tutorial included with Scrivener.

Once you’ve formatted one paragraph to work the way you want, you can use the Project β†’ Project Settings β†’ Formatting pane to make it the default for this project, or Scrivener β†’ Scrivener Preferences β†’ Editing β†’ Formatting to make it the default Scrivener-wide.

Then, the Documents β†’ Convert β†’ Text to Default Formatting command will reformat existing text to the new default.

2 Likes