Outline Issues

I’m having trouble getting an outline done properly. I’ve checked out the tutorial videos and done the obligatory google searches but I’ve come up empty.

I’ve set up the levels in the compile screen.
I have set up all 3 level types to mimic one another (via copy and paste according to the video) in order to give me the following outline layout:
I.
(A)
(1)
(a)
(i)

Problem is that when section II. is reached the lower levels continue instead of resetting.
So instead of the first subsection in section II reading (A) again it continues from where it left off (H) or (I) etc…

What I want: I. (A) (B) (1) (2) II. (A) (1) (2)

What I am getting: I. (A) (B) (1) (2) II. (C) (3) (4)
I’ve spent the better part of the day trying to figure this out. Please explain what I am doing wrong and if possible change the .scriv file so that I can pick it apart and see where I made my mistake.
CCP Syllabus MV forumhelp.scriv.zip (302 KB)

What you need to use in this scenario are the more advanced counter tokens, which support multiple “streams” of counters. To put it simply, if you have one stream counting up, you can start a second stream later and it will restart at the equivalent of “1”. This also works for interleaved streams (for example, handling figure numbering in one stream and table numbering in another.

The basic syntax for streams is simple:

<$n:stream_name>

The first part is just the counter type (in this case, simple numerals). The colon is a part of the syntax, and the bit after that is what you call the stream. So this can be done manually by just typing it in or pasting the stream counter whenever you need it—but to use them in a procedural setting like the Formatting compile pane, you need to somehow come up with a unique stream name that resets when the parent resets. For that, you can use another placeholder token, “<$parenttitle_no_spaces>”. If you just use that by itself, it will print the parent folder name for the item, stripping out all spaces. So what you want to do is use it in the counter token as a stream name:

<$n:<$parenttitle_no_spaces>>

Say this counter falls in the first folder, called “Black”. The interpolated output would first be “<$n:Black>”, and since that hasn’t been used before it prints “1”. The next section that uses it will output “2”. Now a section in a new folder called “Red” appears. It interpolates to “<$n:Red>”, which is a new stream; hence it starts over at “1”.

Depending upon your structure and naming conventions, this should carry you. So long as each container has a unique name (and thus a unique stream name), it should work. If you have duplicate names within sections, then you’ll find repetitions where a counter goes back to using a stream name that has already been declared and incremented by another section.

I did actually try that. My outline structure didn’t work well with that implementation.

What did work was a solution given to me by Jeff from Literature and Latte Support.

[code]Hello Mano,

This is actually fairly difficult to do. Basically, under “File > Compile > Formatting,” each item must contain a placeholder tag that resets the next item in the hierarchy. For example, Level 1 would look like this:

<$R><$rst_L>.

Which says “reset the L auto numbering.” Since “L” is the next level, it is the one you want to reset here. For Level 2 items, you would use this:

(<$L><$rst_n>)

This resets the “n” items in the next level and so on.

I’ve setup your project according to these rules and am returning it to you.

Jeff
Literature and Latte Support[/code]

I have attached the repaired file so that others with this issue can take a look at the structure. I read Jeff’s response but I really understood it after I looked at the change he made to the file.
CCP_Syllabus_MV_forumhelp.scriv.zip (204 KB)

Excellent, thanks for sharing the alternate solution.