Outline of a complex talk

I haven’t used Scrivener for years, so need to quickly catch up on technique. I want to create a YouTube talk that covers a lot of complex ideas. They will be chapter like in the video but at the moment I have a lot of talking points jotted down to include and want to shuffle them about to get the flow right. I’d say they would start as bullet points, then I will flesh each out with a paragraph or more for each point. I’d like a sort of nested bullet points view like in Word outliner.

Given the above, what’s the best level of granularity in the Binder view? Do I make every point a page/document clustered inside folders then merge the documents when I’m happy with the flow (if that can be done within the app)? Or are there other ways? Just looking for methods of approach before I make a mess of it.

1 Like

I would start in Scapple and move to Scrivener once I had things grouped in chapter-sized clusters.

Thanks for the idea, though its not really what I wanted so looking at other techniques totally within Scrivener. How others build and arrange outline hierarchies etc

If you want to stay within Scrivener, I think the answer is yes: make the different points different docs. (If you don’t title the docs they will automatically take on as title the first line of the doc, which will be handy here.)

Scrivener has its Outline view which works as a kind of expanded Binder that you might appreciate working in at this early organizational stage. This gives you something like the functionality you find in Word’s Outline mode, except each line item is stored in scriv as a document.

And, yes, you can merge docs together at some point if you want, but really Scrivener makes this unnecessary (and usually undesirable, b/c you never know when you might need to revisit your material for some other purpose). With Scrivenings Mode you can at any moment look at your work in the editor pane as one fused-together thing. And, course, compiling (or just even bare printing) effectively puts everything together for you as output.

— gr

p.s. Personally, I would likely do my early brainstorming — where everything is up in the air about order etc — in my mindmapping software.

Now, when I came to Scrivener, I did all my thinking/planning in Word Outline mode. So, I have also set up styles in Scrivener that emulate the outline level styles that make Word’s outline mode go. (In fact, if make the style names the same, you can port outlined text between Scriv and Word.) I assigned key command shortcuts to these outline styles, plus key commands to move a paragraph up and down. Once you have this, you then also have all the within-document outlining you want. (Of course, this kind of outlining is below the level of Binder structure and so is not so easy moved around.) Anyway, this facility is still useful to me, but most of my raw brainstorming has moved to structured mindmapping software — which is just outlining with a different visual interface, of course.

Thanks GR this is most helpful. I created a manual years back in Scrivener but have almost forgotten how to use it, so these idea will get me quickly up to speed.