Outliner Newbie Question

I am putting vignettes in groups on the outliner. I have been putting each vignette on top of each other so that they are staggered.
A
B
C
D
E

Now, when I go back and, say, want to move D up below A into the B slot, I am having trouble accomplishing that. They don’t want to move around once they’re in that ABCDE order. Also, I was able to select one document (vignette) hold the mouse down and move it from the bottom or anywhere in the outliner up to, say A document and then it would become B. Now when I select a document in the outliner and try to drag it, it just selects all the other documents as I drag. I want to just move the one document.
:question: Thank you so much for your patience and your help.

I tried to show A B C D E as staggered, but they lined up to the left. Just know they are staggered in the outliner.

If you want to format text with spaces on the forum, you can use the “Code” button in the submission toolbar.

So the key thing to recognise with an outliner like Scrivener is that indentation can be thought of as a logical hierarchy, where items indented to the right of an item above it are considered “children” of that item, or “descendants” if they are indented even further beneath it. So here you have the following:

A B C D E

In outliner convention, B is a child of A, C is a child of B and also a descendant of A, and so forth. What this all means in practice is that everything indented below A (which is everything in this example) is considered a component of it. If that doesn’t make sense, think of it in a more practical sense, where we might refer to A as “Chapter” and B as “scene”—now it makes more sense that if you move A, the chapter, around in the project, that its scenes would be moved along with it. B, C, D, and E are all fundamental parts of what A is, as an entity in the outline.

So yes, if you drag D up between A and B, what you are effectively saying is: “I want D to become a child of A, and since D is in part defined by E, its child, it will move as well”.

If E in fact has nothing to do with what D is, then speaking from a purist point of view in terms of how one should use outliner technology, E should not be indented below D. Indenting something beneath another thing is to add to its fundamental definition, as adding a scene and indenting beneath a folder would make that scene a fundamental component of the chapter.