Page Break Before Parts

I need to get page breaks before each part of a book. I don’t see where page break is a separator compile option.

I think you got it there. In your screenshot it says “Section break”, but if I compare with the windows version, it matches :

There is no page break option in the Mac version, as shown in the screenshot.

Use “section break”. That’s what I am saying, it matches.
If it doesn’t give you a page break, what does it do then ?

Page Break is not an option:

The book’s structure is:

Part
Chapter
Section
Paragraph

I know that “Section” doesn’t mean “section” in Scrivener-speak, but still…

ePubs don’t have pages. A Section Break should do what you want.

If you’re not trying to create an ePub, change the dropdown menu at the top left to the format you want.

I certainly can get chapters beginning on a new page if I use Vellum. As I recall, there is a way to accomplish this task in Scrivener. Unfortunately, the Scrivener way of doing things doesn’t include checklists and of all the things I have to remember, this particular feature is no longer at hand. It’s ridiculous to have copyright info, just as one example, immediately followed by a chapter heading. None of the epubs I have purchased are so formatted and I don’t even think my previous Scrivener projects compiled in this fashion.

A “page” is a piece of physical (or virtual) paper with defined, immutable dimensions. Ebooks don’t have them because ebooks allow the person reading the book to change the font size and therefore the amount of information that will fit in a given space.

If you want a visual break between Parts of your document, inserting a Section Break is the way to accomplish that. If Vellum calls “the thing between sections of an ebook” a “page break,” that’s fine, but that’s not what Scrivener has ever called it.

If Section Breaks are not giving the desired result, we would be happy to address that issue.

The “given space,” i.e., that which is displayed in the view screen, is a virtual page. No matter how the user futzes with font sizes or fonts, the chapter should always begin at the top of the view screen. Section breaks do not allow for a page break option. I don’t care what it is called (actually I do, because “section” doesn’t always refer to an independent structural component of a book, which has always been a recipe for trouble) but there must be a work around. Section breaks do not permit a new part (or chapter) to begin on the top of a new virtual page on using whatever view screen the user has available. Is there a Scrivener equivalent to LaTeX’s \cleardoublepage or even Word’s doublele ?

Yes, a Section Break should result in a section starting on a new virtual page. That is its purpose. If that’s not what you’re seeing, then let’s address that issue instead of arguing about terminology.

1 Like

I think this is working, but it’s hard to tell, since Scrivener isn’t reliably converting Markdown text.
That is,
“# This is a top level heading”
Sometimes Scrivener correctly converts the crosshatches properly, other times it does not and I have no idea why.
![Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 10.57.00 PM|690x133](upload://ff6tpzeH5sO

GTQCrD4G4E0JI9aw.png)

Section break and page break are the same thing by different names, only because ebooks don’t have pages, only sections. They could both be called section breaks, but that would be counter-intuitive for export formats that do have pages.

Are you referring to…

#About this Translation

… not being a heading? If you are, Markdown needs a space between the # and the following text:

# About this Translation

You can see the difference here:

#About this Translation (no space after #)

About this Translation (space after # creates a heading level)

1 Like

Thank you; I wasn’t sure about that.

1 Like