Page Break for all Level 1 Folders

Hello,

I’d like to insert a page break before every level 1 folder, but not for folders in level 2+. I don’t want to use nested documents as folders. I can do it manually in the compile settings, but is there a way to automate this process?

Thanks a lot!

There isn’t a level-based approach to separators, the usual approach is what you mentioned not wanting to do: using a different type of container. That’s a big part of why there are different container types in Scrivener, so that you can use them for different types of things in compile. What are your objections to using them? Is it how the program behaves with them? If so you might check the Navigation preference pane, where you can make documents with subdocuments act just like folders in the project window.

The other solution is of course to just manually handle the whole affair with the “Page Break Before” checkboxes. It’s not the easiest, but that route is there for precisely the sort of things that do not fit into a neat procedurally generated package.

Thank you for the reply. I don’t like to use files for folders because I use folders to structure my text by the titles of each chapter. With text files I cannot easily distinguish between a subchapter and the content of that chapter until I create another text file within that subchapter, what I usually don’t do until I really want to write the content. So at the beginning of my writing process there’s just a bunch of folders that slowly fill with text files.

I know that I could assign a custom icon or could create a text file as soon as I create a subchapter, but these are all additional steps I’d like to avoid.

Would you consider adding this feature in the future or are there any reasons for not to doing that? Page breaks per level seem to me a better suited solution than page breaks depending on what type of container came before, but I might miss some usage scenarios that are important.

We may have something more along the lines of that in the future, yes. I just wanted to give you some tips on where to go right now, with the present design.

Okay, yes I can see how if you approach the outline that way it would be less straightforward. I tend to work the other way around, with structure emerging out of the content, I suppose you could say.

Well consider this approach then: you can at any point toggle the type, between folder and file. So if you find it better to work with folders while developing the content, then do so. All you need to do then is at some point select those folders you don’t mean to page break, and right-click on the lot of them, using the “Convert to File” command (you can also use the Documents/Convert/to File menu command). That can be after a chapter has been sewn up, right before compile, or even at the point where you start accumulating sections into a specific folder—convert it to a file group right then. The ability to toggle these types as you work is specifically for this kind of approach, where you aren’t writing to the mechanics of the compiler the whole time you’re writing for one reason or another.

There are even menu commands to help make this easier. You can click on a folder for example and use Edit/Select Subgroups to avoid having to Cmd-pick through the lot.

That’s great to hear. Thank you!

I knew about the option to convert file types, but I haven’t even considered this way. It might be easier for me to just set the Page-Break-Before toggles before compiling, but I’ll experiment with that. Thank you for the suggestion.

This is something I really appreciate about Scrivener: I have a certain problem, and even if there’s not the one solution that would be easiest for me, there are like four different ways to handle it. I often hear that Scrivener (and other similar complex applications such as DEVONthink) are too cluttered and not easy to master, with too many options. But I really appreciate that I have many possible ways to approach a certain need of mine that suits me best. Like DEVONthink, I use Scrivener the way I can make the most of it, ignoring many of the features, maybe even using other features differently than originally designed for, and make it my own. That’s what’s great about it.

Just something I wanted get off my chest.