Page break in Separators inserts a blank page

I’m using Novel with Parts format. When, in compile, I tell it to put a page break as a folder separator and also as a text and folder separator, it creates a blank page, sometimes on either side of the title page for that part.

Right now, when it compiles, I see END OF CHAPTER/SECTION, BLANK PAGE, TITLE PAGE FOR NEW SECTION/PART, BLANK PAGE, START OF NEW CHAPTER.

I don’t want this. I want END OF SECTION, TITLE PAGE FOR NEXT SECTION, FIRST PAGE OF NEXT CHAPTER. How do I make this happen? Hope this makes sense.

Since you mention this only happens some of the time, I wonder if you’ve got things set up so that it forces the part or chapter title pages to be on a particular side of the book (recto vs. verso)? That would be explain why you sometimes get an extra blank page, it would be doing that to push the page over to the left or right-hand side of the book, keeping it consistent with the rest. Without a two-page preview setting in your PDF viewer, it may appear somewhat random, but it makes sense once it looks like an open book would.

If you don’t want that, check in the Formatting pane. You’ll need to click on the folders that are generating parts as well as chapter titles, and then click the Section Layout… button in the middle of the pane. The “First Page” tab is where these setting exist.

These are usually off by default, but if you started with the “Paperback Novel (with Parts)” compile preset, they will be enabled to the recto (right-hand) page for Parts, but not chapters (Level 2+ folders in the Formatting pane). So all you would need to do is switch this off for the “Level 1” folders in that pane.

Thanks. I’ll check that out. I’ve kind of decided this is a non-issue since it doesn’t happen when I export ebooks. The lack of pages in ebooks makes this not occur.