Page breaks in Editor? Pg. #'s?

Is there a way to change the view mode in the Editor to show page breaks in the text? I can’t figure it out, and can’t I find a tutorial online that mentions it. I’d like to have my text show up as it would in MS-Word, like a virtual page layout so you can tell how the paragraphs are sitting on the paper.

I’d also like to know if there’s a way to insert a header or footer - top or bottom of page, left or right - that includes your info and page count. Again, the standard Word style is what I have in mind…

( Name / Title / Pg.# )

If anyone can help me out with these questions, it would be greatly appreciated. And if these aren’t features in the Windows version, somebody better get on top of that… Pretty basic stuff to expect from a word processor, m’kay…

Thanks a milli! :smiling_imp:

You might have the wrong program if you are looking for a word processor replacement. Scrivener makes no claim of being anything like that. It’s meant to be an environment conducive to the production of words on a larger scale, not for working with desktop publishing concerns. Much has been written on this topic already here on the forum and in the user manual as well. The typical workflow for someone who needs to worry about typesetting and such is to do all of the principle writing and preparation in Scrivener, and then compile out to Word or InDesign, and from there the draft is polished off and typically the original Scrivener project is never returned to, as it has served its purpose.

So anyway, these features are not in the Mac either, and probably never will be. Many of the people who have come to Scrivener have come in fact because it doesn’t pollute the screen with layout details and just presents the plain and simple text. That’s not for everyone, but that’s in small part what this software is about.

You can add a page header of that style when you compile, just to clarify. In File > Compile, click the blue arrow button to the right of the “Format As” pop-up menu to expand the window, then choose “Page Settings” from the left sidebar. Here you can set both a header and footer for your compiled document.

You can also get a page count when working by using Project > Project Statistics, which will take your current compile settings to give you the printed page count (as well as word count, etc.) for your draft.

It is an option that’s available that’s available for the mac version (V2.0). Check out the link. That’s what I’m referring to, and what I hope to see in a future update for the windows version. I did however find out about the page numbers and headers under compile. Thanks for the replies.
Cheers.

youtube.com/watch?v=Uhc9_wkeMh4

Yes, the Mac does have a page view feature, and the Windows version will as well. As you can imagine that’s a pretty big job to do, so it wasn’t something we could fit into the timescale for initial release (the Mac has only had that feature for 1.5 years out of its 5 year history, to put it into perspective). But to be very clear about what this feature is: it very rarely is going to be “like Word” in that it shows you where your paragraphs will be on the final print. Unless one uses Scrivener in an extremely basic WYSIWYG way, where they don’t use the compiler to help with any of the chores like header styling and insertion, or use the formatting engine to clean up the text and convert it to a particular style guide, this view is going to be next to useless for real-world spatial estimation. Just inserting titles will, in the course of a very long document, offset the text you see on the page a good deal from where it will actually sit in the final print, if the document employs footnotes that will increasingly skew the page count as well, and when you consider that many people prefer to utilise Scrivener’s compiler formatting features in such a way so that they can write using a comfortable screen font and ignore 12pt TNR or Courier typesetting altogether, you can see how just won’t work for that. Really the only workflow that can reliably use this feature for final pagination is scriptwriting, which as very rigorous formatting demands and font requirements and doesn’t use any page expanding features like large print headings and footnotes.