Page breaks

I know that this issue has been discussed elsewhere (for instance : https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/help-with-new-compile-formats/38412/4) but it is getting to complex for a simple mind like mine. I did read several times the part of the manual on separators (24.4) but to no avail.

Here is my problem: I have imported from Scrivener 2 my personal compiling format which worked pretty well with my previous book. Now, I am confronted with the fact that, no matter which style I apply to the text (and I tried them all), there won’t be a page break before unless there is a chapter folder, in which case it will add in some places an unwanted chapter number (whereas in other parts, I do need the chapters to be numbered.

Of course, I can always export the final result to Word and insert manually the required page breaks but it would defeat the purpose, wouldn’t it?

There is a solution, though, but it is one you have not kept: the page break checkbox which was in the compile window in Scrivener 2. May I humbly suggest that for people like me who are lost with the new interface, it is introduced again in a (not so distant) future update of Scrivener 3 ?

I would be eternally grateful. :slight_smile:

This is one of those circumstances where if you were starting from scratch, the Version 3 method is actually a lot simpler than Version 2 — but because you’re not starting from scratch, the conversion seems complicated.

The basic process is 'Define what you want the items in your binder to do by giving them Section Types; define how you want them to look in Compile by giving each Section Type a Section Layout.

So in your case, it should be a simple matter of telling Scrivener that these items in the Binder are normal Chapter folders, while those folders will require slightly different treatment – in other words you allocate them a different Section Type. (I may have got you requirements slightly wrong but that’s not relevant: the process is the same for any project.)

When you get to Compile, you go through those Section Types and tell the compiler ‘format Chapters in this way, but Special Chapters in that way’. ie you give each Section Type its own Section Layout in Compile. There are several default layouts provided, and it’s likely that most of your need to differentiate the format between the two types of Chapter are already met (ie one has numbers, one doesn’t etc). You can add to or amend Section Layouts if you need to.

If you later want to compile to a different output format, all you have to do is reallocate the Section Types to relevant Section Layouts. You don’t have to redesign your binder hierarchy.

BTW: Scrivener doesn’t care whether the item its a folder or a document — if you give it a Section Type of Chapter, then that’s how it will be compiled. This is a lot simpler, and yet a lot more flexible than V2, once you get your head round it — that’s why those of use who have been using the Beta for months have found it to be better.

But, because it does take a bit of getting used to, Keith the developer has produced a special project for people like yourself who are used to V2. It talks you through how to set up your project, and how to convert your v2 settings to use the new system. It won’t take you long to go through, and it’s definitely worth a read.

You can find it here: http://literatureandlatte.com/scrivener-3-update-guide

Hope this helps.

Thank you.
I will definitely read the update guide as suggested.
Best,
Olivier

I read the part in the update guide about how to compile, I fiddled a bit with the styles and I think I eventually got around the problem, although it may not be satisfactory from a purist’s point of view.

Nevertheless, I learnt my lesson and next time, I’ll start a new template from scratch in Scrivener 3.

Thanks again,
Olivier

Glad you found a solution!

I haven’t upgraded to 3, yet, but you can actually insert page breaks before compile.
You go to ‘Edit’ ‘Insert’ then select ‘Page break’.
I literally found that out today, as well as the page view. It came in handy, because I purchased Word just so I could compile to DOC and then check my pages.
If I’d have known about it sooner, I could have saved myself a lot of money. :neutral_face:

I’ve been dealing with a similar issue with version 1.9.7. I decided the problem is the in the preview mode, the page break isn’t shown. For example, this looks as if there’s not page break: