Page number placeholder in (inline) endnotes

I’d like to insert a page number into the text of an inline footnote/endnote. I would like to eliminate the superscripts in the compiled (for DOCX) version of the main text but leave page references in the endnotes. An endnote would look like this:

I have no problem with using some other placeholders such as <$title> in inline footnotes and the <$p> placeholder seem to work well in the TOC. But I cannot get <$p> to work in footnotes.

Is it possible?

Thank you.

Peter

I’m not sure if that is possible to do, in theory, while still using proper endnotes/footnotes, given that just about every program is going to need a physical marker of some sort in the main text body to work with. That’s just how they are designed to work.

On linking to a section’s page number, as you’ll note in the ToC copy and paste, the page number code is actually linked to the target document. If you click on it the referred section will open. That’s all there is to the trick really. Just type in the <$p> tag and link it to the intended document.

Now, it should be noted that Scrivener cannot link to a particular paragraph within a section, only to the top of the section, so I’m not sure if this is even something that will help you (it depends a lot on much you break down the draft into small chunks). If that’s okay though, then your best option will probably be to organise these yourself at the bottom of the Draft.

There are a number of ways a manually organised list could be accomplished:

• As a single document.
  • One document per chapter (in case you shuffle chapters around, this will help keep the notes in order).
  • As individual items, one for each note (maximum flexibility, but more upkeep).

Thank you Amber. I had not realised until just now that the <$p> placeholder was linked to the documents at the time of the TOC Copy and Paste action. Somehow, I had assumed, this was done at compile time, just as the <$title> placeholder is filled in at compile time (I know this must be the case because I can use compile-time replacements to insert the value of <$title>).

I guess this means the <$p> is a form of “Scrivener link” while the <$title> must be just a compile-time lookup. No doubt it would slow the compile quite a bit, but I would like to be able to use a look-up place-holder (<$pg>?) that would replace the token with the page number where it appears at the time of compilation. Would L&L consider this in a future revision of Scrivener?

Thank you for the suggested work-arounds. I’m working on the second draft of a long piece of non-fiction and I’m reluctant right now to start changing the ‘granularity’ of the part/chapter structure. But it may be a (sort-of) solution in future.

You are right that every word processor I know needs some sort of physical link to the end/footnotes in the main text. My strategy had been to process the endnotes this way and then delete the links from the endnotes themselves at the end of the document. This would leave the Scrivener-inserted page number in place but leave no marks in the main text.

These un-linked notes are now in common use in popular non-fiction because they allow authors to use notes without frightening/annoying readers who hate to see the page cluttered with superscripts (I’m among them).

Hey Peter: did you ever find a solution to this in Scrivener? Am trying to do exactly the same thing myself.

Documents have titles at all times, but they don’t have pages until Compile renders the project in a page-oriented format. In an eBook, <$p> can’t be made to mean anything (since there are no pages), so Compile omits it.

Start with §10.1.4 in the (Mac) manual to use @AmberV 's suggestion regarding links. Maybe you’d create a glossary document at the project, type <$p> into it, highlight that, and create a link to the target document whose page number you want. Or you could select the target document, Edit/Copy Special/Copy as ToC and past the result into the glossary document. If the target document is more than one page, you’d have the number of its first page.

Good morning, Asa

No, I never did. The Scrivener compiling challenges of a long, multi-part book, amply footnoted, defeated me. This was just one of the problems I encountered trying to get the compiler to produce the formatting I wanted. I moved the whole thing, reluctantly, into MS Word, which had many of its own limitations but gave me what I expected at the end.

After that, I never again trusted Scrivener for a big project. I dud not want to put all my content into the Scrivener format only to have to export it all later to some other WP environment to polish it for output.

Perhaps things have improved with “compile”. But I haven’t used Scrivener for some years.

Good luck,

P