page numbering starts too soon

I’m trying to compile a pdf of my U.S. stage script, but the page numbering insists on starting on the Characters page. Sometimes, depending on what changes I make during Compile, the numbering starts on the Setting page instead, but I have been unable to persuade it to start where it needs to start, with Act 1 scene 1. I’d love to know how to do this correctly. Can anyone explain? Many thanks.

I have attached a screen shot to show how things are currently set up for this script in the binder.
Screen Shot 2013-05-21 at 14.08.05.png

What are you settings in the “Page Settings” pane of Compile?

Here’s a screen shot:
Screen Shot 2013-05-21 at 23.02.31.png

I believe the settings you are looking for are in the “First Pages” tab of that Page Settings compile panel. You would want to enable “Different first pages header/footer” and optionally disable counting for the front matter pages. Just leave the headers/footers blank, and then set the start point appropriately. Assuming your character and setting files are one page or shorter, you would want to start normal headers/footers on page four.

Alternatively you can leave the start point on “Automatic” and move all front matter material outside of the draft area, into a special folder. Then, in the Contents compile pane, enable the front matter feature and specify this folder. That will allow the front matter to grow and contract freely and you won’t have to worry about manually setting the start point.

Alas, I have managed to make neither of these solutions work. When I create a Front Matter folder and move it to just above the ‘Script’ folder, even though I enable it in Compile, it simply vanishes in the pdf.

And nothing changes when I attempt to follow the instructions in the first para.

If past experience is anything to go by, I am overlooking something extremely basic and obvious. Am I moving the Front Matter folder to the wrong place? How do I disable counting for the front matter pages?

Many thanks.

Just wanted to add that a further problem has arisen since I started tampering with these settings: the act and scene numbers no longer update. Before I started messing with things, each act and scene would get the correct, incremental number. Now when I compile, every act and scene still has the placeholder {N}. Ack! What have I done?!

Would you mind sending a copy of the project to tech support so we can look at it? If that’s okay, just use the File/Back Up/Back Up To... menu command to create a copy of the project on your Desktop (or anywhere convenient) with the “Backup as ZIP file” option turned on. Then specify the URL for this thread in your e-mail.

If you have confidentiality concerns, you can scramble a copy of the project by using Edit/Find/Project Replace... to swap letters around.