Page numbers after compiling for mobi are wrong.

Hi,

I’m converting my current work to ePub and mobi formats. When I convert to epub everything works fine. But when I convert to mobi, everything looks fine, but the page numbers are way wrong. For instance page 1 = 25. Page 2 is = 37. So instead of having 250+ pages it lists the work as having 4000+ pages. But everything looks right in Kindle Previewer except for the page numbers.

Does anyone have any insight?

Thank you.

There are no page numbers in e-books. Some readers will count up the number of screens it would take to display the book, and print that number as a page. Some will attempt to calculate, from the content of the book, roughly how many pages it would take to print that book, and then show these numbers (so that when you flip screens the number may not always change). Some distributors like Amazon have a system for publishers to insert “real” page numbers, synchronised to some paper printed copy. But in all cases, these are just arbitrary numbers painted onto what is currently being displayed on the device. As you can imagine, not as much text fits into a Blackberry screen as on a Kindle DX. If you have to flip five times to read the same amount of content you can see on one screen with the DX, what really do page numbers mean any more? So much as changing the font size on the device will modify what screen number you are on.

The Kindle (and Kindle Previewer) uses its own measurement system, not based on screens. Personally I prefer it because it is static and directly related to the text rather than the display parameters such as screen size, font and margin settings. Locations, as they call them, pinpoint the spot you wish to refer to down to about a sentence-level of accuracy. Consequently, there will be many more “locations” in a book than anything resembling a page of text. Having 4,000+ location points sounds about right for a book that would otherwise print out to around 250 pages.

Oh okay. I think I understand.

So kindle previewer isn’t going by “pages” its going by reference locations and so you can conceivably have thousands in a novel length work. So that’s the mobi format.

What messed me up is that when I do it on epub and then load it up on my Nook, it does tell me how many “pages” there are and what “page” I’m on. Which works out to be about 250.

So essentially, I shouldn’t be looking at the numbers in the mobi file and translating them to “page numbers” because that’s not what they are. And now I’m looking at the kindle previewer and it doesn’t say page number anywhere. I ASSUMED it was page numbers and that something was wrong.

Thank you for the explanation. Sounds like I don’t have a problem! :mrgreen:

Yup! That’s the short answer. :slight_smile:

The Nook is one of those devices that, I think attempts to estimate how long the work would be if it were printed to typical mass paperback, and then prints that number until you switch to text that would be printed on a new page number. If not, it’s just counting screens like iBooks will do. You can tell if you flip through a few pages and the numbers do not always increment. If they always do, it is just counting screens.