Page numbers in ToC not updating when exported to PDF

Hi everyone - I’m wrapping up my second book and for this one, I decided to give Scrivener a whirl. Love it - a little bit of a learning curve and still missing some critical features that the Mac version looks to have, but I love it nonetheless.

Like I said, I’m just about done with my book and trying to do everything in Scrivener, rather than relying on exporting to Word or anything… Scrivener to PDF and done. That said, the table of contents is my last hangup that I haven’t been able to find a fix for in the forums or through everyone’s friend Google. I created it using the “Copy Documents as ToC” method.

My problem is that my page numbers don’t seem to get updated when I compile to a PDF.

Here’s what a small part of my ToC in Scrivener:

And here’s what happens in my PDF:

Also, the ToC spans two pages in the PDF and everything on the second page shows “10” instead of “9.”

What’s a little odd to me is that I was toying with this maybe halfway through the book just to see what I would be in for, and everything seemed to work just fine. In fact, the PDF used to show the word “Chapter” and the chapter number.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe I changed some of formatting or section layout on compilation and that somehow affects this??

Awesome product, but I just need a little help with this issue.

Thanks!!

– Jim

Try this first. If that doesn’t change anything, make sure that in compile you have “Include in RTF bookmarks” selected for the relevant rows in the compile formatting–all the binder items in your TOC should be included in the bookmarks to allow the internal links in the PDF. Then check that you’ve got the “Chapter” and number placeholder tag prefix still set up for that document type row, too–you’ll see it in the preview area below, and it would already be showing within the compiled document at the start of each chapter, even though right now it’s not showing in the TOC. Documents also need to not be marked “Compile as-is”, as that will force compiling only the document text regardless of the compile formatting settings.

Jennifer, thank you - that did get me my page numbers and chapter names back. However, it makes a dramatic difference in my document. All my images shrunk down and it made the font (Calibri) a little goofy throughout the document (looks just slightly stretched vertically and not as dark).

Is that pretty much what I’m stuck with using that conversion method?

Thanks,

– Jim

I’m afraid so. All of that is handled by the conversion tools, going from Scrivener’s RTF to the PDF format. You might have better luck compiling straight to RTF and then using Word to tweak anything and saving from there to PDF, or using a really dedicated tool like InDesign. I realise you were trying to cut the additional tools, but for finer formatting and layout that may just not be possible. Scrivener is primarily a drafting tool, aimed at getting your words down and organised, so it doesn’t have all the design control of a layout publishing program. We do try to give the compiler a lot of power, and it will be getting better, but it’s still not going to be a one-stop-shop for everyone.

I took a little bit of time to think about this before I went and did anything and then I just realized, “why don’t I just use the Scrivener PDF converter and hard code the page numbers in the ToC?? It’ll take 10 minutes!”

So anyway, that is my plan. Thank you very much for your help - I appreciate it very much!

Have a great weekend!!!

– Jim