Page Setup in Ver3.0 on Win10

I have tried everything, but I cannot get the page setup to change from Letter. I have set up the page size that I would like to use in my default printer. I then see that size available when I go to Page Setup in Scrivener, but when I select it there is no change to the document. When I go back to Page Setup it still says Letter. I have also changed the default page size in my default printer to my desired page size and still nothing. Always Letter no matter what I do. I find it shocking that a product designed for publishing would be so difficult to set the page size.

Also, is there an inside margin setting I don’t see one. Seems like this program is amazing in doing complicated things but lacking in letting me simply type my book and know how many pages my document is. Any help would be appreciated. I tried emailing support but never heard anything back after a week. Thank you in advance!

Ok. Here is what I did that seemed to get me moving forward a bit. Perhaps this may help someone else. First, as others have most likely shared, don’t expect the page settings to work like MS Word. The page doesn’t automatically change when you change the page size. I made sure my formatting was set up in Options according to my desired page size. Then reset every page in the entire project to match that format. Then print one page using the desired page size that you have created on your printer. Use manual tray setting. Note: even if it doesn’t print because of mismatch. Just cancel it at the printer.

Now you should be able to set the Page Setup to the desired custom page and it will be saved in that format. Even better, now Page View should look like the desired page size!

So, a question for the group. Is there a way to change the page width for the non-page view mode? Right now, it is 8". I would like it to be 5.5".

Thanks everyone!

Normal view :

Make the editor the size you want it to be, then click “use current”.
Then check “use fixed width editor”.

Make the background a different color than your editor’s text area.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Page view :

This is the logical place to set page sizes. It’s a page setting for the compile format:

*A logical place.
It depends what you are trying to do, and why you want to do it.

1 Like

If you don’t hear back from our support team in a reasonable time, please check your junk mail folder. While a human response may take a day or two, you should get an automated response in a matter of minutes.

If you haven’t already, I’d recommend taking a look at our Interactive Tutorial, available from the Help menu, as Scrivener is very different from conventional word processors. In particular, Scrivener views the page size as relatively unimportant until you’re actually ready to output the manuscript. The default is that the Editor width is defined by the size of the window, completely independent of the page dimensions you might ultimately want.

1 Like