Pages in Compose mode

Hi there,

I’m very new to Scrivener, and to this forum, so please forgive me if this has been asked before, but I’m wondering if someone could help me out.

I’m working in a UK stage play template, and in Compose mode, the document is just one long page. Is there any way I can insert page breaks and page numbers so that I’d be able to quickly see how long the scene/section is? I feel like there should be an easy solution to this, but I haven’t been able to figure it out.

Thanks in advance.

Check out §19.2 (pg. 236) of the user manual PDF. I think that is more in line with what you want. You can of course insert page breaks by hand with the Edit/Insert/Page Break menu command, but that wouldn’t be typical scripting practice from what I know of; pages should be left to flow as they will based on the length of the scene.

Hm… I read everything from that section, and the other articles mentioned within, but it seems to only address the issue in the main editor. The page breaks are present in the editor view, but as soon as I switch to fullscreen compose mode, page breaks vanish.

Hi,

No, composition mode doesn’t support page layout - composition mode is intended to be a very basic, “no frills” mode. You can use Lion’s full screen mode to block out everything else and use the full feature set of the main editor instead, though.

All the best,
Keith

Thanks. That’s not really a problem, more of an aesthetic preference.

What about adding page numbers to the main editor page?

You should be getting a page number readout in the footer bar, if you have Page View turned on. This is a relative count to the section you are viewing, not the whole Draft folder (computing that would take too much CPU, and it wouldn’t be accurate in most cases anyway since Compile often changes the formatting and layout).