Paper/background colour settings problem

Two issues:

a) Binder background colour won’t set to match the shade choice in prefs. and seems to be backlit from top to bottom.
b) Compose paper colour … the same as above. I keep going back and forth and back and forth and the actual is constantly a different shade.

I have no trouble with any other colour setting … editing paper colour, quickreference paper colour etc. Notes etc.

Also: Is there any HUD setting for the full app ? not just quickreference panes ?

Ok … as soon as I post … I discover the solution for the Compose issue.

I had to leave the colour palette OPEN while going back and bringing up the Compose mode. That allowed a real colour to be chosen.

No solution to the Binder.

The Binder uses the “source list” style of sidebar that is familiar from Finder, iTunes, Mail and other Apple programs. If you’d rather have direct control over both the selection bar and the background, then disable the Uses Source List option in the Appearance preference pane (very top). You can’t set the selection bar directly—it will use your System Preferences : General setting for Highlight color.

Also note you can open Preferences while you are in Compose mode and set up all of your appearance settings dynamically, rather than switching in and out and out and in and in and out. :slight_smile:

Thank you AmberV.

Ah ok. The thing is … it does allow the colour to be set. But it insists on the top lighting effect which changes the shade. As an aside … I cannot imagine many people, especially writers having a clue what ‘course list’ means ? :wink:

What is the selection bar ?

Any comment on the HUD question ?

Did you try turning that feature off? The shading only happens with it enabled.

It is the rectangular indicator behind the items you have selected in the Binder.

No there is not, that particular look is reserved for some kinds of utility palettes on OS X, not entire application windows.

Yes. All fixed now :slight_smile:

Ah ok … eventually figured that out … :cry:

Not wishing to tangle with an expert … but how come Firefox can have skins that change all of that to any colour, including black ? (Skins … there’s an idea!)

All right, you asked for it. :wink:

Firefox isn’t a “native” Mac program, it is of course a cross-platform beast, and nearly all of its user interface is unique to it. You can almost think of it like a Java program. Java is a framework that allows applications to be themed. Most people just use the themes that mimic the OS you are using—so when you run the Java program on a Mac, it looks like normal Mac software, but when you run it on Windows it looks like a normal Windows program. That’s in essence what Firefox is doing (sans the universal binary that can run anywhere): the whole thing—outside of dialogue boxes which you will note, cannot be skinned—is a ruse made to look like a Mac (which is why it slightly doesn’t if you look really close). Thus making a skin that looks nothing at all like anything else is trivial—skins are built into the UI kit from the ground up, and nothing other than Mozilla products (and derivatives such as Postbox) use that system on the Mac.

Same goes for Google’s Chrome: it’s not using the native Mac interface but faking it. I believe Microsoft Word does the similar as well (though in a way they fully control, without 50,000 awful anime skins on the Web :laughing:).

Now Cocoa Mac programs on the other hand have no such thing as skins. Interestingly, Macintosh computers used to be a lot more like Firefox in that anyone could come along and swap out the resources used to display buttons, windows scrollbars and so forth—this was back in System 8 and 9 days, there were even shareware programs that made it super easy to change the entire look of the OS, from Finder to the menus to every single program—Apple even had about a half dozen different themes that shipped with the OS. But, Apple decided that with the introduction of OS X 10.0, that nobody should be in control of how things look on their computer any more, with the exception of a few little settings here and there (blue buttons vs. grey buttons, etc.). Back when OS X was a hideous cartoon looking affair, there was somewhat thriving community of people were “hacking” skinning into the OS, but it was a fragile mess and greatly reduced the stability of the operating system. In years since, that community has completely died off, to the best of my knowledge—probably because modern Macs no longer look like someone smeared toothpaste on a Twinkie wrapper, so the compulsion to override the default and risk constantly crashing is far lower.

At any rate, Scrivener being a native Mac program thus sits within that system where skinning is not a thing, and is in fact eschewed at a deep level. The only way we could provide such a thing would be to adopt a UI stance more along the lines of a web browser, and I think people would rather us spend the five years, or whatever that it would take to do that, working on features for writers rather than features for skinners. :slight_smile:

yep … I think that explains it
:mrgreen: