Paragraph and footnote issue

Hello everyone! New to Scrivener but I’ve been having a few issues when compiling my thesis for Word on my Mac.The first being that the footnotes turn into endnotes, when I’d ideally like both. The second is that there are huge gaps in my writing e.g. there may be a paragraph on one page then one on another page. Any help would be most appreciated.

Welcome to Scrivener!

You can change how footnotes and endnotes are put together in the Footnotes and Comments compile option pane. It is possible to have both footnotes and endnotes at the same time, but you would need to use two different footnote marking features to do so: the inline feature and the linked sidebar version. If you haven’t looked into either of those, you’ll find them addressed in the interactive tutorial available from the Help menu, as well of course in the user manual PDF.

As to the gaps, it’s impossible to say for certain without more information. There are too many ways to achieve that effect, intentionally or not. Some general tips though: use the Format/Options/Show Invisibles command to hunt for extraneous tabs, page breaks and carriage returns around the text that is misbehaving. The “Other” option at the bottom of the line spacing tool in the Format Bar is another thing to check, although mistakes made there should be obvious in the text editor as well. Another thing to check for is the “Page Break Before” checkbox in the Inspector. If you have three files with three paragraphs and all three have that checked off then they will appear on three separate pages instead of one after the other.

Lastly, if you don’t mind sharing the project with us (we will of course keep it confidential and delete it upon request) you can send it in to our support address for analysis.

Hi

If—as Ioa mentions—you do have extraneous carriage returns at the end of documents and don’t want to remove all of them manually, you can instruct Scrivener to remove them during compile for you automatically.

Compile > Transformations > Remove trailing whitespace from documents

[attachment=0]trailing white space.png[/attachment]

This is non-destructive. It removes the spaces from the new compiled file, but not from the original Scrivener documents.

If you have multiple carriage returns that you don’t want in your Scrivener project, you can use Find & Replace to remove them by searching for double carriage returns and replacing them with single carriage returns. You might need to cycle through the project a few times to remove the carriage returns that exist in instances greater than two in number.

Best

Briar Kit