Paragraph spacing when compiling to .txt

The other day I was trying to compile a short story to a .txt file, and encountered a number of issues.

On my initial attempt, the output .txt file was essentially “borg texted”, meaning every paragraph was left aligned with no blank lines between. I thought surely there must be sort of formatting option to handle this, such as an option to insert characters at every paragraph break, such as a tab or a few spaces to indent, or an extra carriage return, and was surprised to find that no such option exists.

Actually I did find a way, but it wasn’t obvious and didn’t quite work right. It involved using the Replacements feature, which per the User Manual could include tabs and carriage returns using Ctrl-Tab and Ctrl-Enter (I was later dismayed to discover that these don’t work in the regular Find/Replace functions, but that’s a different problem), so I added an entry to replace every carriage return with two of them. To put these into the Replace and With fields, I had to put in one or more regular characters, then the Ctrl-Enter, then delete the regular characters, leaving only the Ctrl-Enters (which are then invisible). The short story had only two source files, and when I compiled, it replaced every carriage return with not two, but four, in one of the two files, as if it processed the replacement twice, but in the other file, it correctly replaced each carriage return with two. Apparently, the Replacements feature doesn’t always work as expected when the Replace string is a substring of the With string (e.g. if you replace ‘eat’ with ‘eats’, you don’t want to re-apply the replacement to the result, giving ‘eatss’; at least it didn’t get into an infinite loop).

Thanks for pointing this out! We’ve figured out what was causing the replication issue and it should hopefully be fixed soon.