Parentheses confuses line wrap

Greetings.

It seems that Scrivener’s (or perhaps Cocoa’s) line-wrapping algorithm gets confused by parentheses, such that it refuses to consider a space followed by an open-parentheses (such as between “open-parentheses” and “such” in this sentence) as a legitimate place to break the line. I’m attaching a screen shot demonstrating the effect.

It’s not all that big a deal, since most of us export from Scrivener to some other formatting program anyway, but it is a bit disconcerting to work with.

Cheers,
:ian

Apparently, what I just said isn’t always true…

Hi,
As you note, this is nothing to do with Scrivener so much as a Cocoa OS X thing. Testing this out, it seems something to do with the quotation marks in your first example. Very strange, I admit, but it’s out of my hands given that it is built-in to the text system…
Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Hi.

It’s not quite so simple as an extra line break. I’ve deleted the space and parenthesis and then re-typed them, and the anomaly still occurs. It also happens in other places.

However, after a little more experimentation, I see that the critical feature is the quotation mark at the end of the first word. It appears the sequence quote-space-parenthesis is not recognized as a word break. I suspect that whatever regular expression Apple used to implement detection of candidate wrap locations isn’t quite general enough to handle

" (

It doesn’t matter whether it’s a single or double quote, and I don’t think it matters whether the quote is straight or curly, either.

Interesting, but not your problem!

Cheers,

Ah, seems you replied before I edited my post. I posted, then checked it out, then realised I was wrong and edited. I came to the same conclusion - something to do with the quotes. Weird, but definitely something built into the Cocoa text system.
Best,
Keith