Parts and chapters

Hi, I am new to Scrivener and already close to giving it up.
The reason is that I don’t manage to get the simplest possible structure compiled:

Part One: Beginnings
Chapter One: How it started
Chapter Two: Oh dear
Part Two: Incidents
Chapter One: More events
Chapter Two: Oh boy

Everythings comes out as Chapter:
Chapter One: Beginnings
Chapter Two: How it started…

I have tried dozens of templates from various sources (including, of course, the ones delivered with Scrivener), but always had the same results.

My question: how do I tell Scrivener that a folder is on the Parts-Level or on the Chapters-Level?
Just nesting files in folders doesn’t do the trick.
Plus: I only ever get Level 1+ formats. Various people talk abotu Level 2+ formats… I have never seen one. How do I produce one of those?

I have read the Scrivener handbook (and about a dozen blogs), but I haven’t found a solution yet and any help would be appreciated.

M.

There is a template (Fiction->Novel(with Parts)), that should start out with the presets you want. You can create a new project from that template and then drag what you have created/imported from the first project’s binder into the other project’s binder to get started that way. Or just create a dummy project to see how things are set up in the compile dialogue.

To create a new level, you have to be viewing the expanded Compile window (there’s an arrow button to the right of the “format as” drop-down list for that).
Under Formatting in that window, you will see an “Options…” button, and to it’s right, another button with a small + sign and what implies a new level. Highlight row below that which shows a blue folder labeled “Level 1 +” then click that button to create a Level 2 row.

From there, you would change the Level 1 folder by clicking on the Level 1 row, then clicking the Modify button, and then the “Section Layout” button on the pop-up window which appears. You probably want something like “Part <$R>:” in there (minus the quotes). Whatever you choose, you should make sure that that autonumbering “token” is different from what you have in the Level 2+ row, which will probably still have something like “Chapter <$t>”. To choose a different numbering scheme, take a look at the documentation for (I believe) “placeholder tokens”.

Hope that points you in the right direction.

Dear Robers, thanks for the prompt reply. I tried it out and it works nicely :stuck_out_tongue:

May I bother you with one more question: as I write a book in German, counting chapters in English ONE, TWO etc. doesn’t look to hot. How can I change that to ‘1’, ‘2’ etc.?

Regards
M.

Somewhere there is a list of auto numbering placeholder tags (or similar description). If you go back into the setup as I described, you can replace the <$W> with <$n> to get 1, 2, 3, etc… Just remember that you need a different letter in the <$ > token for your parts and your chapters, or they will all just be a sequence of number from 1 up. Roman Numerals are what the Parts seem to be defaulting to, so that shouldn’t be a problem. If it is, the Roman numbering sequence is <$R>.

There are ways to reset these numbers, so that you get Part I, chapter 1, chapter 2… Part II Chapter 1, Chapter 2, etc… If you want to do that, though I’m not really up on the how of it. Maybe someone can point you to the right part of the manual (I can’t find it myself with a cursory search).

scrivenerwriter.com/all-the/all- … ceholders/ has a list of the place holder codes.

That list is for the Mac version. For Windows, see this page.

Simple enough question… okay, never mind the question. Here’s a simple acronym, sort of a variation on “RTFM,” about how I view this information:

PTITFM.

Kind of a no-brainer, eh Scrivener Support?

Thank you.

Dear magicfingers,

is there really a need to be rude to newbies? Good for you that you are so knowledgeable about Scrivener and XML and all the rest that you consider my question easy enough.

I personally am glad I found people to help me with it because not all the information I needed to solve the problem is in the manual. So kindly refrain from offensive remarks on the lines of RTFM.

Regards

M.

Oh, man are you rude! Absolutely unnecessary
Marta

I have a pdf of all the Scrivener placeholder tags which I can email you if you want
Not sure how i can do this through the forum, but perhaps Jennifer can help with this
Marta

No, no, no! I’m terribly, terribly sorry, this is not what I meant to say at all! Oy vey, why would I not want to help a newbie? When have I ever not tried to be helpful? This is terrible. Please forgive me.

It was not my intent to be rude to you, and my reply was not addressed to you. It was about the links to information that should have been in the manual in the first place. I wasn’t clear, and I’m sorry.

I invoked “RTFM” in order to give a context for my variation on it, PTITFM, which, though perhaps a bit obscure, meant “PUT THIS IN THE FRIGGING MANUAL.” It was addressed to support, not to any user, and certainly not you. I was expressing an opinion here, that this kind of information needs to go into the manual. It really had nothing at all to do with you, and I aoplogise for not expressing my opinion more clearly.

Having seen repeated links to important information in this forum and others which never quite seems to make it into the manual, my opinion is that support should “Put This In The Frigging Manual.” If I was guilty of anything, it was imprecision, since the OP and you and I suppose, now that I have been accused of rudeness, everyone else, believe that I was bashing a newbie. That was absolutely not my intent, not in the least.

But, on the other hand, this public name-calling is also unnecessary. Let’s just give each other the benefit of the doubt, okay?

Peace.

I agree

You can attach it to any reply you make. Beneath the compose window, there are two tabs: Options and Upload attachment. You use the browse button to navigate through your hard drive to the file, once you’ve selected it, you’ll click the “add the file” button, and then you’ll have the option of inserting the file into your post.

It’s a little convoluted, but you can use the preview button on the post to see if the file has been added to the post before you submit.

Thanks, Robert