password protection privacy

Hello,

I’m new to Scrivener. I wondered (and have searched to no avail) if there is a password protection feature where I can lock it so no one but me can open a project? I’d like to know that my writing is safe from others reading it. Is there such a feature? If so where is it and how to turn it on?

Eager to begin!

Thanks,
Michelle

All Macs come with extensive built in mechanisms for protecting your work, there is no need for individual programs to do this. The best and easiest way to protect your work is to enable FileVault for your account, or your entire computer (introduced with 10.7). With the latter the entire hard drive will be scrambled except for a few key bootstrap pieces at the very top of it (so that it can be turned on). To even boot the computer it needs to be decrypted. This is by the far the safest setting, but also the most dangerous if you forget the password and global reset code. Protecting your account is the next safest, and of course this implies that you do not set your computer up to automatically boot up straight to your desktop without typing in any credentials. Again, the risk here is that if you forget your password or reset code then everything in your user folder is forever lost. Period. Maybe the NSA could crack it, but if they were motivated to crack your computer open you’ve probably got other things to worry about. :slight_smile:

Finally there is protected disk images, which can be created like little “vaults” that you can store stuff in. Any projects in Scrivener, your tax documents—anything that shouldn’t be on your computer as readable bits should be in an encrypted vault (if one of the above protections are not used, that is). These can be easily created using Apple’s Disk Utility software and its documentation. If you find it all a bit too complicated, there are programs you can buy which streamline this process for you.

thank you. What a bummer it’s not a simple idea. Thanks again for the reply. Michelle