Password Security

Is there no password protection for Scrivener beyond the iPad passlock? Projects on the Scrivener IOS should be secured with a passcode IMHO.

j

Agreed. This would be a nice feature to have. 8)

Another thought: If the project files can’t be password protected, that’s fine, but consider adding a password lock (and/or TouchID lock) for the app in general. This is what apps like Evernote and Dropbox offer on their apps.

Thanks!

I definitely like this idea, as does my better half. I thought it a bit early to start begging for more but will echo this particular sentiment, it’s pretty much the first thing I looked for after syncing.

Unfortunately, the lack of password security for the app (a la Dropbox or Evernote) is a major failure in the app. I’m sorry it cost me $20.00 to find out that it’s unsuitable for my use.
On Macs, the use of ‘User profiles’ is generally adequate to secure the Scrivener app and files (not perfect, but adequate)…but for IOS, an application level security feature would be appropriate. My own disappointment is only heightened by the fact that I submitted this suggestion to the development team years ago after abandoning Storyist for the same shortfall.

Password Protection is indeed a must have! :bulb: :arrow_right: :mrgreen:

I’m not sure I understand the use case where a Mac OS password for a user account is adequate, but a touch ID or equivalent pass code on iOS is not…

I won’t argue that you don’t need stronger protections for your data, but everything that I’ve seen on the subject leads me to believe that a locked iOS device with a long passcode (with optional touch id) is as secure as a locked Mac with a good password.

Never underestimate the Scrivener user base’s capacity for imagining highly improbable scenarios…after all, that’s what many of us do for a living. :smiley:

I think a password protection option at the project level would be good.

My impression is that locking an app or a document is a precaution against disclosure in a shared use situation. For example, the Hubby and I are going on a long trip in September, and my iPad may be the only Internet-capable device we take. If he were to borrow it, and there was stuff in Scrivener I didn’t want him to see (not that there is…) I might want to password-protect Scrivener.

In general, if someone doesn’t have their iPad auto-lock, and gets up in Starbucks to go to the bathroom leaving it behind, theoretically a thief could get at all their data if internally apps were not locked. My own inclination is to either take the device with or hit the Lock button when I get up, but that’s me. :slight_smile:

Bear in mind Scrivener can only write to its selected Dropbox folder, so you can move projects to another folder on Dropbox when not in use & they will be inaccessible to Scrivener for iOS. This means you could put a password on the Dropbox app, then sync on Scrivener for iOS, exit Scrivener for iOS, open the Dropbox for iOS app and move the project to another folder. Then when you want to resume work on the project you’d move it back to your sync folder in Dropbox for iOS, then sync Scrivener for iOS again.

It’s a bit of a work-around but it does allow for password protection & can be managed entirely on iOS.

I seem to remember that the FBI recently had such a difficult time getting into a locked iPhone that they sought a court order to force Apple to make a custom version of iOS. And in the discussion around that event, it turned out that more recent versions of iOS close the (small) hole that the FBI was seeking to exploit.

If I were concerned about my data, I think I would see the use of Dropbox as a more serious issue than the vulnerability of the iDevice itself.

(Shared user scenarios? Theft? Always use auto-lock and don’t put critical data on a shared device.)

Katherine

Well…the disappointment for me with the IOS version lack of an application passcode (a la DropBox, for example) is that back in April 2013 when I suggested the same for the Mac version AmberV commented, "iPad programs are substantially different than standard computer software in that by default nothing can even open the files that you create with them, from other programs or even from the iOS device itself. There is no file browser, so no file access, and thus putting a simple lock on the application is enough to block most everything. "…a comment which led me to think that the passc ode lock on the IOS app would be a ‘simple’ bit of programming. I guess I should have specifically suggested that it be included in the IOS version where an iPad with Scrivener files is more likely to be shared with a spouse or family member, associate on occasion. Anyway, a pass code lock on the app would definitely be desirable and I hope that at some point L&L implements it on the IOS version.