PDF files

I’m probably ignoring something obvious, but when I try to import pdf files from the web or from the desktop, I’m told it won’t import. What am I doing wrong?

j

You’re most likely trying to import them into the Draft folder, which is text-only. Try selecting the Research folder and then importing.
Hope that helps.
All the best,
Keith

Hey KB,

I know this is more than trivial so i hesitate to suggest it.

It might make sense to detect the data type then force all non-text imports to the research folder. The requisite confirmation box (with "don’t bother me again) would be needed, but it might be worth the effort.

Or not. Your call.

It used to do that, but I think that is actually more confusing, because then you suddenly find files in a folder where you didn’t even drop them…
Best,
Keith

No, I am having trouble getting them into Research.

What error message are you receiving? Make sure the files have the PDF extension, too.
Best,
Keith

The web page ‘http://www.millenniumassessment.org/documents/document.326.aspx.pdf’ could not be imported.

That’s because you are trying to download it directly from the web… The Import > Web Page is for exactly that - importing web pages - and doesn’t download PDF files or other sorts of files. So you need to download the file in Safari or whatever browser you use first, and then import it or drag it into Scrivener. Sorry, I missed that you said you were trying to import directly from the web in your first post.

Actually, I recently improved some things so that the next version of Scrivener can import PDF files (and images etc) directly from the internet in this fashion, but in general, Scrivener will never be as adept at downloading files (even certain web pages) as a dedicated browser, so there will always be occasions on which you will need to use a browser to download certain files you want to import.

All the best,
Keith

It worked. Thanks.

j