peeking backstage in Scrivener's XML

Just curious about something - not having a good story to tell for Nano, I decided to write an import/export utility for Scrivener.

It works great - 4.rtf becomes The Butler Did It.rtf based on the binder name for the document, the binder structure is reflected in the directory tree in the output directory, and I can sync everything over to my Android.

Then, The Butler Did It.rtf reverts back to 4.rtf (or whatever) to rejoin Scrivener.

I notice the Windows interactive tutorial appears to have extra files. For instance, two copies of Buzz Aldrin’s wav file, and there are extra copies of other things - 4.rtf and 142.rtf are the same.

There is an ID=142 in the XML, but no BinderItem with ID 4.

Like I said, just curious, this may be beyond the level of technical support worth pursuing - but I was curious - is there a role for those extra files, or are they sort of leftovers?

Scrivener is great - not just because it’s cool for what it is, but it’s cool for what you can make of it.

Cheers!

It sounds like you may have an older copy of the tutorial. The tutorial is something that I originally ported over from the Mac version of the same, and it was of course edited during the alpha and beta development periods of Scrivener for Windows—during which there were bugs that came and went with project storage mechanisms. It got to the point where I finally decided to just rebuild the project from scratching using version 1.7, to get rid of search indexing problems and other weird issues. If you generate a fresh tutorial now, you should find the numbering starts at around 130, and there aren’t any duplicated resources.

I have Scrivener 1.7.3.0, and was just using the tutorial is generates.

Is there a download to update the bundled tutorial?

Thanks!

Hmm, that’s odd, if you check the “Tutorial.scriv” project in the Program Files\Scrivener folder, using Explorer, do you see the problem there as well? I just double-checked both that and the original .scriv that I use to generate the public version of the tutorial, and neither have any duplication errors, or data files for IDs lower than 132.

There isn’t a separate download, but I’d suggest a simple uninstall/install refresh—perhaps the automatic updater (if that is what you used to obtain 1.7.3) did not correctly update this folder, and if that is the case it is probably a good idea to rebuild the whole application folder.

Mystery solved, and thank you for your comments.

The Scrivener installer doesn’t delete any existing files in Scrivener\Tutorial.scriv\Files\Docs, in the program files(86) directory.

I had old tutorial files there, and I believe your index id’s may have changed over time, which is certainly no problem at all.

When I manually deleted the Tutorial.scriv directory and re-installed, the duplicate documents were gone.

They were never really a problem, anyway, I was just trying to learn.

That import/export utility sounds like a great idea! Are you going to offer it for other people to use?

Hi, Beth, I really appreciate the thought it might be of use.

Before I get that carried away, I need to make sure I haven’t got any “gotchas” that would cause any risk to a project.

I’ve also thought of a couple of features that would make the utility more useful.

You’re very kind - I’m not ready for prime-time yet, but maybe in a few weeks. Thanks to L&L’s straightforward design, this is not a complex thing to do.

Excellent! I’ll look forward to future developments.