Pg Break Before

I’m new to Scrivener (like it a lot), and trying to compile my manuscript.
I started my project using the “Novel Standard Manuscript Format.”
I went to compile to a word doc, checked the “pg break before” for all my chapters and exported. Opening the word doc in Pages showed no page breaks and no page numbering. When I print to PDF, everything works fine. Am I missing something? Does Pages not open these correctly?

I exported in RTF to Pages and had better luck; so you might try that.
As for page numbers; create a header in Pages and Insert Page Number on the far right.

Yes, unfortunately Pages cannot read RTF very well - it ignores page breaks, images, headers and footers, footnotes, comments and so on. (On the other hand, the standard OS X .doc exporter which Scrivener is forced to rely on doesn’t support footnotes, comments, images and so on.)

KB: I’m confused by your answer. As I said, “I went to compile to a word doc, checked the “pg break before” for all my chapters and exported.”

But your answer seemed like you thought I was exporting to RTF: “Yes, unfortunately Pages cannot read RTF very well - it ignores page breaks, images, headers and footers, footnotes, comments and so on.”

I’m exporting to word, Export Format = Microsoft Word (DOC), and then opening the word doc with pages. When I look at the doc, my page breaks & page numbers are not there. My question is - is the export broken, or is Pages just not able to correctly view a Word Doc created by Scrivener, or have I found a bug?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sorry, I didn’t explain properly. In previous versions of Scrivener, .doc files were internally .rtf files. In the current version, .doc files are only internally .rtf files if the document contains features such as images, footnotes or a header or footer. If none of these things are present, it will be exported as a true .doc file.
All the best,
Keith

This sounds like the problem I’ve been having.

Everything worked fine at first. Text exports worked without problem, my pagination was just fine. No problems.

Then today I tried a new test export and found that my pagination was all funny. No page break between chapter endings and the next title page. What the heck?

Well, I futzed with the settings for about half an hour and nothing fixed the problem. All right, if everything looks like it should be right, and none of the settings are funky, what’s different?

Took a minute, but I figured it out. Annotations are different, that’s what. Since the last time I tried a test export and this time, I put annotations at the start and finish of each chapter to help me to remember exactly what my timeline was.

Scrivener pulls out the annotations… and takes the page breaks with it.

Moving my annotations after the first paragraph and before the last period seemed to restore the expected behavior when I tried that with chapters 1 & 2.

This is a great program. Scrivener is so much better than MS it’s hard to believe. It really does let a writer get down to writing and gets out of the way… until this. It’s the first glitch I’ve seen in the program after using it for weeks, but because I have annotations at the start and end of each chapter and each segment it’s a bit of a doozy. I only just finished putting those annotations where I wanted them in my draft, now I’ve got to go move them to get the manuscript to export correctly.

Ah well. Maybe I’ll just wait and re-insert the page breaks into the exported document after the fact. It’ll be easier than going through and moving all those annotations.

Looks like it’s the annotation at the end of the chapter that was causing me troubles, not the one at the front. That’s easier to fix.