Photographs slowing down scrivener

I already know I have not done this correct, but would like some guidance in fixing things. I’m writing a nonfiction which is very heavy with photographs. I’m thrilled that I can see the photographs within the copy as it helps me to know where I need to add more to explain the text. However, I have been dragging these in, which is slowing things down. I see by this article gwenhernandez.com/2013/05/28/tec … scrivener/ That I need to call them in. I suppose if I’m storing them elsewhere and I call them in I can see them? I can do what my publisher wants and just put Photograph 01:4 and cutline, but I’m a visual person and it really helps for me to see these photographs. So the question is, where are these photographs stored? In a folder on my desk top, or in the document. IF they are stored in the document won’t that still slow scrivener down? IF I store them outside of the document can I still print out drafts that show the document? I have a ton of Beta readers for this project and it would help if they could see the photographs as well as the text.

Any tutorials, video etc that helps with this please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Bridgette

Have you tried sub-dividing your project into three or four separate parts treated as separate projects? Just a thought, if the photographs are placing too great a demand on your computer’s resources.

I think you want to use “links”. I’m not the expert, but if you look in the user manual there shoudl be a descriptive section to do that.

I would second the advice to use links instead of embedding the graphics directly into the text file. Given how Scrivener works with auto-save, there are limits (relatively high limits, depending on machine performance, particularly write speed, so SSD Macs will be better off) to how many images you can feasibly store in a single text file.

To link to a graphic, use the Edit/Insert/Image Linked to File… menu command. Locate the file and select it. The result will be identical to what you are used to in the editor. You can see where the picture will go, and what it looks like.

The picture will be loaded from outside of the project whenever you first look at the file, and then cached for speed from then on. Consequently, if you update the images outside of Scrivener, you’ll need to reload the project. One thing, when working with links, is to make sure the original graphic is stored in a static location. These links are fixed pointers to locations on your drive. If you move or rename the image the link will be broken (until you fix it). Thus, it is okay to work on a satellite machine—you won’t see thumbnails on the second machine, just placeholders, but when you return everything will link back up.

You can read more about all of this in §15.5.3, starting on page 216 of the user manual PDF.