Picture captions not staying on the same page as the picture

Hello!

I have been using Scrivener for a few weeks and my project is ready for review (I have a lot written before switching to Scrivener). I have been trying to compile and I almost happy with the results, but there is still one thing that I cannot figure out.

The thing is that I have a lot of pictures with captions, I formatted them as caption but anyway I believe they are just paragraph in practical terms. The things is that I would expect that the caption stays in the same page as the picture, but in few cases it’ s on the next page. I have activated “prevent widows and orphans” but I guess this is something different.

So, is there any way to force the captions to “stick” to their images?

Thanks!
Vladimir from Finland

You don’t say what format you are compiling to, but various word processors have a paragraph option that is “keep with next” or something similar. Placing images in text is one of my least favourite activities. It always seems to be a nightmare of fiddling around.

We have a similar problem with section headings splitting across pages. Keep with next (KWN) only seems to apply to paragraphs.

Someone will correct me if I’m wrong but Scrivener is not intended as a formatting tool. This is acknowledged in the tutorials with respect to images not having text flow.

I also recall hearing mention of how hard it is to replicate the final page appearance with all the interactions caused by Styles, Formats and the large number of output formats. That’s why the Word output generates a warning that page number placeholders need to be processed by opening in Word and cancelling a print.

We tried playing with separators but got a stinker of a review about all the half filled pages padding our page count.

We’re investigating Vellum and InDesign to see which one will provide the most seamless workflow.

It’s a lot of effort to solve an apparently simple problem but we currently have to add dummy sections with page breaks by hand so it should be worth it in the end .

Above is so true.

Often best to do final formatting for formal publishing in some tool fit for purpose. The target tool may or may not “listen” to what Scrivener wants for formatting, but surely there will be paragraph control that you expect.

That being said, what I do for a lot of my Scrivener work (not intended for formal publishing, but do care how it prints to PDF) is that I put both the Figure and the Caption in the same paragraph, separated by one or more new line markers (not paragraph marks). Turning on the “invisibles” helps get this right. I give the “paragraph” the style name “Figure” but it’s both the image and the caption, of course. I set Keep with Next “off” and don’t allow “Can Split Across Pages” for the paragraph. I format (bold on or off, centered or not, italics on or off) as I want. Of course formatting doesn’t affect the image, but does change the caption text. Seems to work good enough for me.

Where is that setting?

Cursor in the paragraph, Menu: Format/Paragraph/Keep with Next/ and there. Probably in a style definition, but I didn’t look. You can peek at that if you use styles.

Found it, thank you! Tried in with a couple of bullet lists to keep the text with the bullets and avoid the list splitting, compiled to PDF and Word… each failed to honour the request in different ways. The PDF has the bullets split, the Word doc split away the text. Am I missing something?

Admins please shrink images as appropriate!

So Keep With Next can be applied to paragraphs, but not to styles? I’d like to create a style, Glossary term, and keep it with another style, Glossary description, but there’s no way to do that, right? Seems like a common thing to do.

(Mac Scrivener Manual, p. 413.)

You can define a “Next Style” so that your Glossary Terms are always followed by Glossary Descriptions. See Page 415 in the manual.

For the specific example of images, one possibility is to put the images and their captions in a table. For glossary terms, the widow and orphan control options should do the trick. In both cases, though, as noted, you may want a purpose-built layout tool for your final formatting.

Katherine

Katherine, thanks for this helpful response! My goal was to avoid widows and orphans, but I see in the forum that that can’t be done in ebooks, so I’ll live with them. Thanks again.