Placing images

When I place an image in a document between two paragraphs, it covers the text above and I have to hit Return repeatedly to space down, or insert multiple line breaks in order to move it down so the text is visible.

If I then compile the document to epub, it shows all those empty lines above the image.

What am I doing wrong? Advice would be appreciated.

JHH

Although the problem was different (happening when compiling), the answer provided in this response will likely solve what you’re seeing.

Appreciate your suggestion but find it a little fussy and too iffy.

Inserting Line Breaks (not spacing down with paragraqphs) usually works with one added factor: I insert a “Keep With Next“ command at the end of the paragraph above the image, another one at the bottom corner of the image, and another one at the end of the caption.

I know (and love) Scrivener because it is intended just for writing, but writers usually need to send the results out formatted, and given that graphics are ubiquitous and often required, I do wish Scrivener provided as simple a way to place an image as Word or Pages does. I should’t have to go to this much trouble.

Thanks anyway, and if you think fo something else, I’d appreciate hearing about it.

June

Hmm, perhaps the explanation in the other message was not clear, because by default there is nothing awkward about any of this. To preface: you shouldn’t have to be inserting manual newlines or Keep-With-Next codes all around images at all, that to me seems to be the fussy way of doing things.[1] Rather if you place an image and a caption together in Scrivener, you should see no overlapping in the editor, and for ePub output you would get the keep-with-next behaviours automatically (at least so long as you are using the built-in “Ebook” compile Format which has the necessary CSS added, you would need to add that yourself if you are starting from scratch).

What I’m describing above is the default formatting and behaviours in Scrivener, and I don’t think it is any more or less ‘trouble’ than Word in that regard. You put your cursor where you want the image, you insert it… you’re done.

But instead what you are seeing is a result of non-standard formatting which is designed specifically for cases where you want to enforce line-height no matter the actual content requirements of the line. It’s an optional tool that can indeed be beneficial with images in some circumstances. For example consider if you have little icons or even inline equations in your text. They might be slightly taller than the font size, and so with normal default formatting they would cause the line-height to “wobble” as you add them. With the kind of formatting you are using, the line-height would be strictly imposed and every line in the paragraph would have even leading.

But instead it sounds like you are using this optional formatting everywhere, and for lines with large images! That’s not the right tool for the job, and that is all the other post is pointing out: that for large images you should be using default formatting that allows the line height to expand to fit the content automatically, with no messing around needed.

Sorry if I’m misunderstanding something, but the symptoms you describe do very much match using the “exactly: X” line-height tool in a context where it is not beneficial.

1. Incidentally, Keep-With-Next codes do nothing at all for ePub output, so spending time on that isn’t benefiting you. ↩︎

1 Like