playing friendly with the ipad

hello. i am in the trial phase of scrivener, and so far i am enjoying it immensely, but have a few lingering issues. i’ve searched the forums, but cannot seem to find the answers to my questions. i hope you can help out.

1. footnotes
    i am trying to make inline footnotes but failing in scrivener (osx). i thought i had the double curly bracket thing working earlier today, but now, no matter how i compile it, nothing works IF i type the double curly brackets in scrivener. they neither produce the pretty boxes in scrivener nor the footnotes in compiled documents. when i make the curly bracket footnotes in simplenote on the ipad, the footnotes appear boxed and beautiful in scrivener. what am i doing wrong?

2. italics and bold
    please confirm that someone doing work on the ipad should use inline markup like single and double asterisks to produce italics and bold. this seems to be the best solution, but i want to make sure before getting too far along in my project.

3. any other advice?
    i’d like to write my dissertation using scrivener (hopefully a lot of it on the ipad), and i was wondering if anyone had any tips or pitfalls to mention.

thanks a lot!

1. The curly brackets are only for when you need to sync stuff round-trip with your iPad or other plain-text writing environment. While outside of Scrivener, they can be used to reference and add notes. While in Scrivener, you should always use the dedicate footnote feature: Shift-Cmd-F to toggle footnote range on/off.
  2. Unless you are working in MMD, I wouldn’t recommend it. There is no round-trip conversion or anything like that. The only thing is [b]Format/Convert/Bold and Italics to MultiMarkdown Syntax[/b], which does the opposite of what you want in this case, I believe. It’s for people who are bringing in rich text material to work in the MMD environment.
  3. On that note: you could consider using MMD, especially as moving forward it will have better support for word processor workflows in Scrivener. Right now Scrivener is still using the MMD2 system which had weaker support. Once MMD3 is implemented, it will have an ODT exporter available in addition to the LaTeX system. Ordinarily folks like to work a bit more WYSIWYG—but if you intend to do a lot of writing in a plain-text environment, it might make sense to learn how to use a document creation system like MMD that operates in plain-text space. It is certainly a little more geeky though, so unless you are inclined toward fiddling with your computer and enjoy doing so at least a bit, you might want to just work around the plain-text limitations and stick with rich text.

Thanks for the help.

1. Understood.
  2. I am unclear about this.
  3. I am unclear about this as well.

You seem to be recommending MMD as a solution to the problem of having only plain text available in iPad. Yet, the MMD section of the manual is kind of confusing for me, so practically speaking, how should I be doing this?

I thought that the asterisks and curly brackets were part of MMD. If not the asterisks, then what markup should I be using to produce italics and bold?

I’m barely recommending it. :slight_smile: I’d only recommend it if you don’t mind digging into things beyond their documentation. The stuff in the Scrivener manual is mostly targeted at people that already know it and are looking to integrate with Scrivener; the system itself is already documented in other places.

The asterisks are a part of MMD, but they are a part of many plain-text marking systems. Textile uses them as well, basic Markdown, a number of wikis, and in a less standardised sense, in e-mails (some clients will bold or italic stuff that is asterisks). So they are fairly common, but like I say there is nothing in Scrivener that will do anything with them. There is nothing that will do any formatting (beyond the {{footnote}} ((inline annotation)) features), which is why I said if you do need to format on the iPad, something like MMD might not be a bad skill to pick up. Most people just ignore italics and bold while working with an iPad. That’s the easy way.

thank you very much. i think i see now what you are saying. i have no problem using a minimal amount of mmd (no different than i would with lots of other software that relies on the same kind of markup), but i am not terribly interested in diving deeply into it. i am working on my dissertation, and the vast majority of it is simply text, so the ipad is perfectly suited for the project. however, i do have footnotes and words in the body of the document that i need to italicize, so those are two issues i have to deal with if i want to use the ipad.

it seems to me that i can use brackets for the footnotes when writing on the ipad, and this will sync fine with scrivener. i can also use the asterisks for italics, with the understanding that scrivener will not render them any differently in the editor view, and i won’t actually see the italics until i compile. that is fine :slight_smile:

so, why am i using scrivener at all? for the organization. it is great to be able to move stuff around after i have written it. i don’t need scrivener so much while i am creating the text, so anything will do there. for long documents (several hundred pages), scrivener seems to be far more pleasant to use than word.

I thought I would login and post an update on my progress. I am happy to say that I have had a lovely time using Scrivener (Mac) together with Elements / ByWord/ notesy (iOS) over the last 5 years (since my last post on this forum). In that time, I have written academic book chapters, articles, book reviews, my dissertation, and the manuscript for a book with this combination. Thanks for the helpful advice so many moons ago (I guess I am pretty much an MMD expert by now).

I can’t say I have been anxiously awaiting the iPad version of Scrivener – more like quietly rooting from the sidelines while enjoying Scrivener on the Mac. However, I am looking forward to working on my next book manuscript using Scrivener (iOS) on my iPad Pro (9.7"). Now that we are closing in on the release date, Wednesday cannot come soon enough :slight_smile:

Congratulations Keith!

Wow, it certainly has been a while! It’s always nice to hear how things went, years later. :slight_smile: As an MMD user, the iOS version doesn’t supply much for that particular way of working, but given the premise of the format you really don’t need much to begin with, and since it is so easy to go back and forth between the Mac, you still have all of what it can do available to you. We have a customisable keyboard row so you can add useful punctuation to it, but with a tablet I suspect you’ll prefer an attached keyboard anyway. The Apple keyboard for the Pro is very nice, if you don’t already have one. Or you can always go back to rich text, that is an option now. Me, I’ll be sticking to my brackets and asterisks. :slight_smile:

I’ll play around with it and see what happens, but so far iOS looks gorgeous, and it is pretty much exactly what I asked for about 5 years ago when I posted in the iOS thread. Nice!

I’ve got the Pro with the keyboard. I generally prefer MMD, but I might opt for rich text now that the two apps are syncing with one another directly. An exciting day :slight_smile: