Playwriting advice

Hello there - first time poster here wondering if any members can point me towards any good advice (online or otherwise) about writing plays. I came across these guys - writingclasses.com/ - and note they provide an online course, but before going down that route, wondered if anyone had any past experience or views they would be happy to share. Thanks in anticipation.

Hi,
I’m in the same situation as you, I think. I just started a stage play myself. I never wrote a play before and are investigating the best format for this. Are you looking for how to learn writing a play or just for the correct format?

André

I would look for books on the subject and study a few scripts.

I’ve written documentary scripts and found that the biggest thing to remember is that as a playwright/scriptwriter, you are one of a team. The director and the cast all put in to build the final production.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

“Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes”, the secrets of how type can help you to sell or influence, and “How to Start and Produce a magazine or Newsletter”, now at the new low price of $29.95. See these books and more at worsleypress.com or Amazon.

Probably nothing you read will help you as much as getting involved in production of a real play. I don’t know where you are, but somewhere in the region there must be a theatre group or company which you can work with. Audition for a role. Volunteer to to tech work. Run errands for the director. Watch a play being put together – preferrably a good one – and see how words on the page become actions and dialogue on the stage. Without some real hands-on and feet-on stage experience, it’s unlikely that any book will make you a playwright.

ps

Thanks for the feedback - especially regarding getting involved with others (being part of the team and finding a theatre to get involved with). Really useful as one of my nagging doubts is about doing things from a book, web site etc. won’t provide enough of a real connection to get going and keep momentum once started.